Bantam sexing...?

my first peepers

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
South Western VT
I am already fantasizing about the chickens I will be getting in the spring. I would love to get a few bantams but don't want a straight run. I know there is one hatchery that sells sexed bantams...is it My Pet Chicken? Why is it that they are the only ones? Has anyone gotten sexed bantams from them? What kind of accuracy do they have?

I have not ordered a sexed bantam from them but from what I was told by them they guarantee the same 90% accuracy as they do with standards. They charge alot more for bantam sexing though since it is supposed to be more difficult. It is $7.00 additional per bantam chick for females, when it is only 50 cents for standards. Most of the bantam chicks are around $3.00 per chick. Do the math - if you want 10 females that is $100 in sexed chicks + $25 small order charge + $15 shipping (average guess), that comes to $140 for 10 female bantam chicks. For the same price you could get 42 straight run chicks since there is no small order charge. I would say it is based on your specific needs, but it is expensive.

First of all, I love Mypetchicken ...... I ordered sexed bantam Ameraucanas from them and they are the sweetest and friendliest birds i own. I got 2 roosters out of only 6 chicks. So all the money you pay extra cannot improve the art of sexing a bantam
smile.png
So you have to order with the understanding that its not a perfect system.

Well that just doesn't seem worth it!
I ordered 6 pullets from the feed store and got my 2 EE boys so my odds aren't so good already.
Thanks for your help!
Lurky, I think my SLW is turning out to be a pullet! Although I do still have moments of doubt...I'll send you a new pic soon.
Will you have any babies to sell in the spring?

I've never ordered sexed bantams and sometimes you really luck out. I've also never ordered just a few birds either though. The good thing is that there's always someone out there who'll want them.

Right now out of my 20 cochins it appears I have 8 roosters and 2 pullets in the blues and 3 roosters and 7 pullets in the birchen.

When I'd ordered White Crested Black Polish a few years ago I ordered 10 and got 1 rooster and 9 pullets. So you can luck out but it is a gamble.

Back
Top Bottom