Bantam Silkie cockerel under weight

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
For the last few weeks, I've been noticing that my 17 week old Bantam Silkie cockerel is under weight. His keel and "chest" bones are very pronounced. This morning his crop was completely when he had access to food all morning. I refilled teh feeders which were getting low, and tried a different feed this time time, Scratch ad Peck. He made happy clucks and the other 3 came and joined him. He ate for a moment and then ran up to be and clucked at me like he wanted me to give him something else. He does this a lot. I can tell he's eating, but he then runs of to me as if to ask if I had sometime better. I don't feed treats often, only a couple times in the past and not recently.
His crop wasn't super full, only a bit. I can tell he's foraging and he acts fine other wise, but is defiantly concerning. Him and his 3 siblings live in an 8x12 chicken tractor. Currently sharing quarters with a broody and her 4, 8 week old Serama chicks. Sunny is a total jerk, but they have room to run away. Its only a temporary setup since I'm expanding the current coop and run. I have 3 feed stations on completely different sides of the coop for this reason. They get to free range almost everyday.
Thanks for any suggestions! Not sure if worms could be an issue, I know dogs loose weight when they get worms. Probably started noticing it about 3 weeks ago?

Is he tending to the girls so much that he isn't eating as he should?

Or is the broody bullying hom off the feed?

Whenever one is underweight the first thing I do is add a few more feeders and waterers.

Usually it is a bullying issue

Is he tending to the girls so much that he isn't eating as he should?

Or is the broody bullying hom off the feed?

Whenever one is underweight the first thing I do is add a few more feeders and waterers.

Usually it is a bullying issue
Alright, I'll add a few more feeders. He acts fine so you must be right. I've had older birds in with them for as long as they've been outside, so that could be the issue.

Back
Top Bottom