Bantam Silkie vs. Standard Silkie-- whats the difference?

Quote: Depends on what country you are in. In the US, there are only bantams. Except for a very few project birds where folks are working on largefowl silkies. And while I occasionally hear about someone who knows someone who has a friend who is working on largefowl silkes, I have never met an actual person who made that claim about themselves. Silkies often look much larger than they really are...long, very pouffy feathers can easily double the size that a bird APPEARS to be. And then you pick it up and realize it is all fluff.

Depends on what country you are in. In the US, there are only bantams. Except for a very few project birds where folks are working on largefowl silkies. And while I occasionally hear about someone who knows someone who has a friend who is working on largefowl silkes, I have never met an actual person who made that claim about themselves. Silkies often look much larger than they really are...long, very pouffy feathers can easily double the size that a bird APPEARS to be. And then you pick it up and realize it is all fluff.

Good!
smile.png
I have high hopes for choosing now!

I purchased 4 silkies from Tractor Supply last year, also labeled as bantams. They are now full-grown and equal in size to my brown leghorns. My hens weigh 4-5 pounds each. A silkie breeder group told me that they are not really silkies if they are that large and that "hatchery silkies" are crossbred with "whatever is available." So, I have a fluffy, silkie-feathered chicken, but it's apparently not really a silkie. So confusing!
idunno.gif
barnie.gif
idunno.gif
barnie.gif
idunno.gif

Large fowl silkies are seen often in my country. and in fact LF silkies came before bantams here. Silkies are considered a bantam breed in ''some'' countries, but this varies according to region and many breed standards class them officially as large fowl; the bantam Silkie is actually a separate variety most of the time. Almost all North American strains of the breed are bantam-sized, but in Europe the standard-sized is the original version. However, even standard Silkies are relatively small chickens, with the males weighing only four pounds (1.8 kg), and females weighing three pounds (1.36 kg).[3] The American Standard of Perfection calls for males that are 36 ounces (1 kg), and females that are 32 ounces (910 grams).[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie

There is definitely a size and temperament difference between TSC/hatchery and breeder silkie. I first had some that a friend got for me from a farm but now I believe they originally came from TSC stock and at 8 weeks old they were 3 times the size of my 12 week old roo that came from a breeder. They were also mean, they constantly fought with each other and everything else around them. I have heard from at least 3 other people that started out with hatchery silkie that they experienced the same thing. They were definitely nothing like I had read a silkie should be or like my other silkie.

I have two sizes of Silkie's the larger males which I have three are around 3 pounds, then I have another male Silkie that his weight is around one pound he has four girl friends that are really tiny compared to him. I was wondering if he would get any bigger but he has not changed sizes in a month nor have the females.

ALL silkies began as bantams. Largefowl were bred up from hte bantams, and my understanding is that in countries that have them, keeping them large enough is a continual issue.
i have been looking for the best broodie hens, would you say the silkies are good broodies..? thats what i have been hearing on line , but im not sure how big the silkies are..? could a silkie hen hatch 4 regular size chicken eggs like a BR size egg..?

ALL silkies began as bantams. Largefowl were bred up from hte bantams, and my understanding is that in countries that have them, keeping them large enough is a continual issue.
:goodpost: im glad to see your in Tempe AZ. im in Bisbee AZ, i wanted silkies from a privet breeder..!! so when i get my silkie broody sanctuary built , i will be contacting you..to see what you might have available & if possible older hens :woot:thumbsupcant hardly wait...lol. :jumpy :wee:ya:yesss::highfive:

Back
Top Bottom