bantam special from ideal PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY PIC HEAVY

Ouch ... I kinda cringed when I saw that, too. Being new to chickens, I'd love to know the real deal before I end up falling for a small flock of those the next time I'm at the feed store.
wink.png

What is it that makes that specific breed so bad?

Quote:
I was initially happy when i got them becaus i had heard how friendly and peaceful they were...but its the opposite...the hens are all right ...but nothing speacial.... but the roosters are a real problem...ther are always fighting..and they hate being handled...they're very aggresive towards people and even the hens... its not just one rooster that was like that...i had 8 brahma roosters of the 3 breeds... dark...buff...and light...they were all the same..and i got them from ideal

I had the same problem with the seabrights both the silver and the golden all the roosters ever wanted to do was fight and then if that wasnt enough they would attack our legs
hmm.png
And I never done nothing to make them aggressive like that.

I've had Bantam Buff Brahmas for 6 years and have NEVER had agression issues. My Rooster is good to his hens and the hens are good broodys and make WONDERFUL mothers. I don't know why you've had issues, but to tell someone to kill a baby chick based on your experience is - I think a little over the top. When things you are writing - and suggesting make people "cringe" as they read it - it's a pretty good indicator that - it's not such a good idea to be so "flip" - you are talking about a living creature! I've kept as many as 7 roosters together WITH NO FIGHTING. Two of the five were best friends and where you saw one you'd see the other. I really hope that the chick in question is still with us and doing ok. In this case...I don't think you gave your best advice.

jojo@rolling acres farm :

I've had Bantam Buff Brahmas for 6 years and have NEVER had agression issues. My Rooster is good to his hens and the hens are good broodys and make WONDERFUL mothers. I don't know why you've had issues, but to tell someone to kill a baby chick based on your experience is - I think a little over the top. When things you are writing - and suggesting make people "cringe" as they read it - it's a pretty good indicator that - it's not such a good idea to be so "flip" - you are talking about a living creature! I've kept as many as 7 roosters together WITH NO FIGHTING. Two of the five were best friends and where you saw one you'd see the other. I really hope that the chick in question is still with us and doing ok. In this case...I don't think you gave your best advice.

Im sorry if people werent able to understand that i was simply jocking...the buff brahmas i was speaking of where those coming from IDEAL...im sorry to assume that the people who would be reading this have the knoledge to understand that genes determine how dossile the chicken will be and since i have ALREADY bought buff brahmas from ideal and i have spoken to others who have done the same and they have all seem to have had the same problem with aggression...i am happy to here you had a great experience with this breed however i was not so lucky....i didnt kill my birds....i found them new homes... BYC is a place where people speek their mind and give they advice they have to offer and it is up to others to respect everyones contribution regardless if you find it helpful or not....so before you get on a pedistule and start pointing fingers, it would be appropriate that you first contribute to the topic rather than just single out responses and try to contradict based on moralistic ideals...​

Last edited:
Sorry Chickenyouout...I'm not the one that suggested the chick be "killed now" - it was clearly stated by at least one person asking for advice/information that she/he WAS NEW TO CHICKENS! I believe, to paint a breed with a broad bush as you did was wrong. I gave my opinion about my experience over the last 6 years. Roosters good to hens, hens being great mothers. I don't think it was obvious you were joking...your comment caused people to "cringe" - point being, there are people on this board with all ranges of experience - you can't assume that someone knows you are "joking" BTW - several of my chickens also came from IDEAL. Go figure...

Let me just say that my Brahma is an absolute sweety

That being said

I see
a White Silkie (lucky you they're sold out till fall)
a Self Blue OEGB--way cool birds BTW
A couple of Cochins
and assorted other bantys that i dont know

All I wanted to know was if anyone can tell me what breeds I have. Thanks for those who have tried to help out. Does anyone have any other suggestions? There is a little one...like a silver color...that is one I'd like to know more about...

The solid silver with dark clean legs is the Self Blue OEGB

this color
12944_chickens_075.jpg

Great chicken very friendly to people and the birds they are raised with. Our little rooster thought he was the coolest dude

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom