bantam/standard cross = medium???

Now I really want to know! Surely people out there know. Plenty of people have a both standard and bantam chickens in their flock. If I could keep a rooster I'd do this experiment myself
smile.png

We have some chicks right now that are an OEG banty rooster crossed with Buff Orp, Gold Star and SL Wyandotte standard sized hens. There are 5: 2 white, 2 black and 1 buff. They are looking VERY banty like to me and not really growing at all in size but are developing normally, just small. One, the buff one, was quite small at hatch but now they are all the same size.

So, not sure if this is always the case but my vote is that all will be banties!

I've always thought it depends on what egg it comes out of? For example, if it came out of a standard egg, then the offspring would be of standard size. If it came out of a bantam egg, it would be a bantam as an adult, I'm probably wrong though.

So it sounds like the size of the egg = the size of the chicken? Very strange! Makes me wonder the genetic history behind varieties that come in bantam and standard sizes.

I'm also curious, is there any problems with things reaching where they are supposed to or fitting where they are supposed to?

I know my yorkie couldn't reach my Great Dane and my Mastiff would have done serious damage to my chihuahua. Is that a problem with the chickens too?

Back
Top Bottom