Bantam using standard nest box?

Nugget

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
As it sounds like my bantam game hen may be nearing our first egg, is it likely she will use the standard sized nest boxes we already have installed in the coop (about 14x14x12") or should we provide a small one for her?

If so, could someone suggest a size?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
i keep my silkies in a 4x5 double box with a 2 1/2 x7 run yard covered with chicken wire... like a small patio for chickens
lol.png
one of my hens is brooding on 5 egges in one of the boxes... sounds like your silkies have a mini chicken castle! she should brood either way

Last edited:
She'll be fine using the standard size box. We only have banties and their nest boxes are 12" x 16" in the main coop.

That's a golfball in the one on the left.
wink.png

47b7d711b3127ccebdcd80a8390400000026100FYtm7ho2Y-

Dawn

they bantums will lay in whichever box they want my bantums lay in the biggest box and the standard hens lay in smallest boxes(sometimes 2or 3 crowd in at same time) Looks like the how many clowns can fit in the tiny car routine.

Thanks for the replies!
What is the purpose of the golf balls? Obviously they're representing eggs, but what do they do? help show the hens where to lay?

IIooII, it's the nest boxes I was wondering about, not the coop itself
smile.png
My coop is 8x6 feet. Not the palace it sounded like!

Quote:
You got it!
big_smile.png

The Mottled Cochins picked it right up...on the other hand, 2 out of 3 EE's prefer the litter )pine shavings) on the floor. One of their favorite spots is to make a nest right in front of the door that I use for access.

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom