Bantam wyandotte troubles

Jul 20, 2020
My bantam wyandottes were not hatching eggs all year so I kept on trying since January I only know hatched 1 little baby last weekend. The eggs that didn't hatch were fertile some just didn't hatch others weren't fertile and most died before the were done growing in the egg. I know I don't have parasite in my incubator as I've hatched probably a hundred Cochins leghorns and white bantam wyandottes but no silver laced. The hatched quite a few last year but only one this year. Does anyone know what's wrong and how should I help the one chick that's hatched?

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
The most likely cause is the temperature in the incubator but could also be humidity. Humidity should be between 30 and 45%

Find one of the incubation articles in the Articles section and calibrate a couple of thermometers. After that, use the thermometer to set the temperature in the incubator.

It also helps to have a good incubator and the old one might be failing.

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
The hatched quite a few last year but only one this year. Does anyone know what's wrong and how should I help the one chick that's hatched?
Sorry for your frustration. :hmm

See if you have a local feed store where you can purchase a chick friend. Or check you local Craigslist farm and garden section to find a chick friend.

Calibrate your equipment if you haven't already. Things go out of whack for no reason and need adjusting sometimes. You say you hatched hundreds of others... last year don't count.. none of those breeds hatch along side the SLW bantam.. as far as I can tell.. indicating bator trouble. What thermometer are you using and which bator. Are you relying on bator read outs, Post pics of your bator, your flock, tell what you feed including treats and supplements

Breeder nutrition, age.. too inbred??

Just floating possibilities for cause of early embryonic mortality. But even better, check out one of my favorite incubation/hatching resources.. (causes for mortality according to what day development ceased starts around page 52)..
Incubation guide

:fl:jumpy:jumpy

Top Bottom