1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam X Large Breed ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Dec 12, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I just spotted my little bitty EE Bantam roo cavorting with one of my large Light Brahma girls. After I stopped laughing hysterically it got me thinking. What would that result in? A medium sized chicken? [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yes it does, the size comes up larger than the bantam but smaller than the standard. [​IMG]

3. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    [​IMG] too funny!

4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, she's a whole lotta woman for him! At least six times his size I'd say. [​IMG] I'll for sure need to keep them separate in the spring.

5. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Our Japanese Roo has mated with our Barred Rock hen many times and several of our standard breed hens. We ended up with some beautiful chickens that were medium sized. It defies the mind to realize these little toots can do this but they do !!!!! Nothing is more beautiful or hilarious than a banty roo chasing a large hen across the yard with his wings flared out, tail up and she's running as fast as her big booty can go !!!! And he will catch her !!!

6. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    hmmmm could you then create a large fowl Japanese?

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Hmmm, now isn't that a thought. I sure wouldn't mind seeing one.

8. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    i never thought a bantam could do that..i mean mate with a standard hen and the egg be fertile...i though he was to small but after reading this it gives me some thoughts.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by