Bantams and Coturnix breeds and sex?

Trailerparkfarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 5, 2009
Got the best photos I could. Nobody would cooperate. The three Bantams should be hens. Nobody is crowing anyway. All are about 6 months old and somebody just started laying about a week ago. Not sure who though.
1. Breed? Sex? Polish?
45389_white_4.jpeg

45389_white_3.jpeg

45389_white_2.jpeg

2. Breed? Sex?
45389_black_and_white_2.jpeg

45389_black_and_white_1.jpeg

3. Breed? Sex?
45389_black_3.jpeg

45389_black_2.jpeg

45389_black_1.jpeg

4. My first ever hatch, ever. Coturnix. I think they are mutts, but I'm new so what do I know?
45389_coturnix_chicks.jpeg

QUAIL
All about 13 weeks old
Sex? Was told the following are Manchurian. I see some tuxedo in there though, I think.
45389_quail_6.jpeg

45389_quail_5.jpeg

45389_quail_4.jpeg

45389_quail_2.jpeg

THANKS!

Wow what nice chooks...... The first one looks rather Polish, but it has black skin and I think I can see five toes! maybe a silkie cross? ( and looks rather hennish) The second one.... maybe a Sebright cross (hen) and the black one looks the same without the markings.... but quite often crosses throw all sorts of colour (hen)

The chickens are definitely hens...
The quail are likely mixed, since I see a brown and a white chick (A&M?) ...
check the vents on the quail. Pick them up, flip them over... if they are breeding, the males' vents will be swollen and if gently pressed they will exude a foam not unlike shaving cream. The hens will not (usually) express any foam... it will show up on their poo. They are very pretty quail. I would suggest just pulling up a chair and watching them. They should be breeding by now (>6 weeks, usually), so you can either catch them in the act of mating or crowing. If the foam/vent checking doesn't turn up anything, of course.
smile.png

Thank you! I will attempt vent sexing, again. Did it before, but i guess it might have been before they were ready to breed so i was unsuccesful.

The first white hen looks like pore Quality sultan possibly, second hen looks like very pore quality sebright , third hen looks like black OEGB

Well couldn't tell you anything about the chickens.

The quail however
pic #4 Might be wrong on this, the monitor is acting up,but the chick on the left looks like a brown or wild type. The chick on the right looks like an English white. Can't really see the colors well.
The others are Tibetans and Tibetan tux.
To be able to sex them you would have to vent sex those birds and a great link to that is here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150049

and another great link for you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281

The white hen is a white polish bantam. The pic of the black chicken with the white lacing is probably an OEG mix. And the solid black chicken is a black OEG bantam. They are so cute.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom