bantams and standard chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RSchickens, Jun 25, 2010.

1. RSchickens

RSchickens Hatching

Jun 23, 2010
    Has anyone had success in introducing younger bantams to older standards (not adults)? Or is it impossible?

2. barredrockgrl

barredrockgrl In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    I did the opposite, and it worked out fine. Actually, The two Banties rule the roost. I don't think the LF know they're three times bigger.

3. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have mine all mixed up in my small coop and run I have 4 sebrights, 2 cochins, 7 EEs, 4 BCM, 1 BO and 2 Araucanas
    In my big coop and run I have 2 MF D'uccles, 3 Silkes, 2 Dom, 2 BR, 1 SLW, 1RIW, 4 Wels, 3 LB, 2 PR, 2 GC, 2 Polish, 3 Cornish Games, 2 BO and 2 EEs they get along pretty well yet also I have them in more space than needed so that maybe the reason

by the way sebrights, cochins, and Araucanas are about 1 month
    BCM, EEs and the young BO is about 1 1/2 months

MF D'uccles, BRs, PRs, GCs, 2 LB, 1 silkie, and I think the Polish are around 2 to 2 1/2 months
    everyone else are laying hen and crowing roos ranging about 3 months to full grown

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    mine all run together too,I have to be careful when the chicks are small,keep them safe for about 2wks. but after that they seem to be able to run fast enough to get out of the way,I also throw in alot so not just a couple that the other flock can single out.the roos seem to fight eventually and need to be thinned out

5. littlebantams

littlebantams In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Australia
    My little 7 week old Pekin/Cochin roos bossed around my 15 week old RIR and Australorp hens.

6. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I used to run some standard's with bantam's and never had too many problem's.I had a pair of maylasian serama's for 5 year's and had some Huge free range polish and Jersey Giant's and they got along fine.Sonny the roo kept his girl COCO close at all time's and hardly any any bird messed with her.I had frizzle's silkie's and duckwing's also.I have gotten into OE"s however this year and have already had to put one roo down due to excessive agression.So far the other's are doing great.I am free ranging some standard cochin' frizzle's in same coop right now so keeping a close watch on everything.They will be going to breeding pen's once the hen's start to lay but like to keep a common happy chicken community and have the bird's used to each other.I had 2 of my silkie roo's sparring today the hen is laying egg's now so looking to place a roo or 2 here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by