Bantams and standard sizes, can you mix em?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Strange_Screams, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    In a small backyard flock is it possible to keep bantams mixed with regular sized hens? There was the cutest little roo running around at the feed store, made me want to cuddle him. lol

I have one EE and one mix hen, I want a Maran and a Dominique to round that off...someday when I find some for the right price. But a lady in my area has white black tailed Japanese Bantams 3 for $25 and BB Reds for 8 a piece.

And what would be the implications?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My bantams and standards get along fine. The bantams aren't even at the bottom of the pecking order.

It's really funny watching a bantam roo try to mount a standard hen - if she doesn't feel like dealing with him, she'll just get up and walk away with him clinging to her back trying to complete his mission. On the other hand, I wouldn't keep a standard roo around bantam hens, he could really hurt them standing on their backs trying to mate.

3. Strange_Screams

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Ok, great, now all I gotta do is eat my neighbors rooster and everything will work out great, lol

4. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    I'm interested in this too ... Specifically, I would like to know if anyone has successfully kept a few Seramas, or even just a Serama rooster, with standard sized hens. I know he can't possibly breed them, but I'd love to have a tiny little jewel running around trying to be a big man! I've also considered keeping a trio of Seramas, but I would like to be able to let them out into the run or into the garden with my layers.

Thanks so much!

5. Strange_Screams

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Oh the seramas are so pretty, I may wait untill I see some of those for sale, its all a moot point I'm beyond the end of my spending limit. Maybe build an incubator so I can buy a few eggs off someone next year

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Yes, I have. I have Seramas and I often hatch under broodies, so right now I have a Welsummer hen with a group of chicks - at least half are pure Serama and Serama/OEGB mixes. My Serama roo is a jerk (although I hear most of them are sweet, just mine's not). He's only 8" tall, but he will take on ANYTHING, so I don't think you'd have any trouble keeping a Serama roo in with a bunch of standards.

My Welsummer hen and her chicks. The solid black ones are pure Serama, the white splashed ones are Serama/OEGB crosses and there's some standards in there, too.
    [​IMG]

My Serama roo and a few of his Serama hens:
    [​IMG]

Here's some Silkie/Serama crosses:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    Can your Serama breed with the standards?! That's gotta be something to see! XD Like a chihuahua makin' moves on a mastiff!

8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have loads of bantams and a small number of standard hens. The only thing I have to check for is that the big girls don't hog the treats. They are so much bigger that they just suck up all the goodies before the bantams can get a fair share. So, I scatter the treats around enough that the big chickens can't get everything (they can't be everywhere at once) and the little ones have a chance to get their goodies.

LOL at the comments about bantam roos mounting standard hens. I have a big cochin hen, and my itty bitty black Old English game bantam roo thinks she's his girl. He tries to mount her but ends up riding around on her back. She doesn't even know he's there. [​IMG]

9. Strange_Screams

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Oh I cant wait for that good chicken TV

10. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Yes, bantam roos do fine with standard hens. They aren't big enough to acomplish the deed, but they will chase the hen around until she has had enough of him and turns on him and the chase reverses. I have two buff brahma bantam roos with my big flock.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by