Bantams and standard sizes, can you mix em?

Quote:
Not really, but he tries! The size is just too different for them to get the parts lined up right - he can't hold onto the neck feathers to steady himself, like a standard roo does, so he just clings to their back end, but he usually just falls off and the hens get up and walk off. The standard eggs are never fertile.

I've had Silkie roos sucessfully mate the standard hens, but my OEGB and Serama roos are just too small. It is highly entertaining to see hens walking off with the roo standing on their back, though.
lol.png

Tons of people mix them. And bantam roos WILL mate the standard hens, and usually have a much louder crow then standard roos! USUALLY the banties are at the bottom of the pecking order, and are all little spazzes.

roll.png
I have a little Serama hen, donated from our neighbor. She's a great egg layer! Not shy when it comesto the food or treats, never the last in line!
lol.png
Unfortunitely, my roo loves her - too often. I hope to pick up a standard sized hen today.

I have bantams and standard togeter and they are great.
thumbsup.gif
The only roo i have is a Japanese Bantams and he gets the job done.
wink.png
Even the standard hens love him.

Here he is with one of his big hens
67676_csc_3920.jpg

Hello,

I realize that I am replying to a very old post. I live in Salado also and was wondering if you are still looking for a young rooster. We had an extra chick in an order we placed in November- turned out to be a rooster. We are looking for a good home for him. He is a Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam Rooster, about 4 months old. Very cute, organically fed, gets along great with our hens. Please reply if interested. Thanks!

In a small backyard flock is it possible to keep bantams mixed with regular sized hens?    There was the cutest little roo running around at the feed store, made me want to cuddle him. lol

I have one EE and one mix hen,  I want a Maran and a Dominique to round that off...someday when I find some for the right price.  But a lady in my area has white black tailed Japanese Bantams 3 for $25 and BB Reds for 8 a piece.

And what would be the implications?
I'm from Duson Louisiana I'm interested in buying bb red bantams

I have Bantise, Large Fowl and Seramas free ranging together, but they are homed to different coops. No problems, the Seramas are mean toward other birds, which tickles me to no end.

It has worked ok for me, best to you and your birds,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom