Bantams but what breed?

BeautyBuffs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
My daughter and I were at the local feed store today and there were these two chicks that were being dragged around by their feet by the other chicks and having their toes picked. So the soft heart kicks in and we ask the attendant to please get those poor chicks out of there before they are killed. We were told they were bantams but other than that the attendant did not know much else about their breed. So home Pip and Squeek come with us. The damage to their feet does not look extensive, a little reddening of the skin on both chicks and a small break in the skin on the other chic. Can anyone tell from the pictures what type of chickens these are? My daughter is courious as to what her first two chickens are going to turn out to be. Also, anything in particular I should do for the feet that were pecked? I have never had chicks this small before and am no help to her on advice at this stage.

They are most likely old english game or dutch - color will be hard to tell until they get older, as several start out like chipmunks. Could be gold or silver duckwing or black breasted red, or one of several others. If you go to ideal poultry's website and look at the old english game bantam pages, you can see what the chicks look like to have an idea.of the color possibilities.

I have no idea what breed they are but I have to say they are ADORABLE
love.gif
And way to go for rescuing you them
highfive.gif

Thanks PtldChick, we will goto their website and check it out.

Pinkribbons4 - Thanks. She is a big softy like me. Can't stand to see an animal hurting. They are definately cute and have big personalities and big vocal cords to be so small. LOL. Their first night here was definatley not a quiet one. LOL

well we lost one of them a couple of days later, no clue why. The other has grown into this :
she ( we are guessing it is a girl, are we correct?) is very tiny but sweet. My daughter would like to know what she is.
This is one the DH brought home. Any clue what this one is? We are guessing it is a rooster, correct or not correct?)

sorry about the chick you lost. It's not a surprise to me that the one that died was the other color of OEGB because it looked to be a rarer color which it could have died from inbreeding of its parents at the hatchery it came from. The hen you have left is a silver duckwing OEGB and the new rooster is a light Brahma.

We have two of the OEGB and they are the neatest birds ever, so sweet and personable, will come right up to you and the love to be held. Enjoy!

Maybe the black and white one is a Columbian Wyandotte? Does he/she have a rose comb? The other I'm not sure about.

Back
Top Bottom