Is this chick unwell?

MemoryLane

Chirping
Jan 16, 2024
I was recently given 3 Belgian D'uccles. They are all 2 weeks old, and two were from the same mother, while one was abandoned out in the rain by a different hen.

The one that was abandoned is eating, drinking, and sleeping just as well as the other chicks (also with a couple of younger silkies). But it looks extremely unhealthy. It's feathers aren't all clean and fluffy like the other chicks, and it has several bare patches.

I've been watching the chicks closely, and they have not been picking on each other. The other chicks did shun it for the first day, but they have accepted it now.

Should I be concerned for its health or could it simply a result of its previous habitat?

It was living in a small box (that looked quite dirty) with 8 other chicks for a time and then was moved to a bigger box just before I adopted it.

I didn't handle the chicks when I first got them as I wanted them to settle first, but now that I've had them out, I noticed it's feet were caked in dried poo. I'm cleaning them now.

What are you thoughts?

It just doesn't look like a happy healthy chick to me. He doesn't have those puffy cheek feathers and his beak looks odd compared to the others.

Attachments

• 20240120_233131.jpg
    20240120_233131.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240120_231426.jpg
    20240120_231426.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 19
Could be coccidiosis. What do its droppings look like?
Nothing out of the norm at all.

His behaviour hints to being a healthy chick in every way. He just doesn't look like one physically. His wings tend to be a bit droopy too.

My siblings are just telling me he's an ugly chick, but I don't think the balding is a good sign.

It could very well be from it's previous, poor, living conditions or previous lack of quality feed. If it's eating, drinking, & acting normal I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep an eye out, but I wouldn't worry too much. The down does look a bit matted. I've had some hatch pretty wet & gooey, and stay matted down even when dried. A warm bath and blow dry may do the trick. Just take care to dry thoroughly. That said, I've hatched tons of chicks and some just feather in slowly, or spotty. Good luck and keep us posted if anything else changes

Back
Top Bottom