Dry crusty skin on chick [not mites?]

akitafriendakita

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
This is a nearly 4-week-old silkie. When I got it, it looked premature/very runty and had several health issues (curled toe, pecked eye, weakness, pasty butt) that have now been corrected or just healed. The chick is just as healthy and energetic [just smaller] as other chicks now, but seems to have dry crusty skin. I do not believe the chick has mites, it doesn't scratch more than other chicks and the issue hasn't spread. The chick doesn't seem to notice that his skin is dry/crusty.

Any idea what might be causing this? At first I thought the chick was rolling around in feed but the issue seems to reappear when I wash it within a day or so [maybe it rolls around in feed a lot?] Maybe the chick needs more vitamins for a while? Could the chick have mild allergies maybe? Should I put some kind of chicken safe moisturizer on it?

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: I spent a while observing the chick to see if there was any other symptoms and discovered that he just likes to roll in chick feed a lot. I saw him shoving his face in it and laying on his side [hence how it gets all around his eyelids,] then rolling in it. Guess he's just a very dirty little chick lol.

Attachments

• signal-2024-04-03-083317_002.jpeg
    signal-2024-04-03-083317_002.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 55
  • signal-2024-04-03-083317_003.jpeg
    signal-2024-04-03-083317_003.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Sorry no one replied, I'm just now seeing your thread.

I'm glad you were able to figure out, the dry material was feed LOL

Chicks love to dust bath just like adults. I usually put a small tub or bowl of dirt/sand in the brooder for chicks to play and dust bath in, you may want to give that a try.

Sorry no one replied, I'm just now seeing your thread.

I'm glad you were able to figure out, the dry material was feed LOL

Chicks love to dust bath just like adults. I usually put a small tub or bowl of dirt/sand in the brooder for chicks to play and dust bath in, you may want to give that a try.
Unfortunately his habit of rolling in feed/throwing feed and irritating his eyes came back to bite him and the problem has grown a little worse. His eyes get itchy after doing it and he has managed to scratch all the baby feathers off around his eyelids and irritate them!

I've just been trying to keep them clean when he does it and I'm hoping he'll grow out of the issue eventually when his tougher feathers come in and his feed is less fine. :fl

Last edited:
Unfortunately his habit of rolling in feed/throwing feed and irritating his eyes came back to bite him and the problem has grown a little worse. His eyes get itchy after doing it and he has managed to scratch all the baby feathers off around his eyelids and irritate them!

I've just been trying to keep them clean when he does it and I'm hoping he'll grow out of the issue eventually when his tougher feathers come in and his feed is less fine. :fl
Try offering the feed as a wet mash since he's rolling around in the dry feed so much.

If the feed is getting into the eyes and causing irritation, he's going to perhaps end up with an infection. Clean the eyes with saline.

You see no evidence of mites or lice that may be bother him either?

Try offering the feed as a wet mash since he's rolling around in the dry feed so much.

If the feed is getting into the eyes and causing irritation, he's going to perhaps end up with an infection. Clean the eyes with saline.

You see no evidence of mites or lice that may be bother him either?
I can't find any evidence of mites. He gets build up in his eyes occasionally so I think it's just eye irritation from him scratching and his habits. He eats kinda strangely where he likes to whip his beak back and forth through the feed to move it around and it kicks up in his face constantly. He doesn't seem to have irritation or feather loss anywhere else.

The eye irritation is improving so I don't think his eyes are in any danger. I have been flushing his eyes with clean water and cleaning them when they get build up. I bought vetericyn/terramycin
too which is coming in the mail just to hopefully progress the healing a little faster (his eyelids got a little inflamed but they're going down now after repeated cleaning/flushing his eyes.)

He scratched his eyelid [small cut from shell] when he hatched so he has always had some mild eye irritation and I think it's just taking a little bit to heal now that he rubbed a lot of feed in it, but his condition isn't worsening or anything and he's still healthy otherwise. Thank you so much for worrying about the little guy, his name is Peanut.

Last edited:
Sounds like Peanut is a character:)

Good idea to have the Vetericyn and Terramcyin on hand.

Keep me posted on how he's getting along!
I believe his condition is improving! This is 12-16ish hours after starting terramycin [before/after,] I believe he has some sort of bacterial skin infection around his eyes because his skin seems dry/flaky. I applied Neosporin to the outer parts which makes his feathers kinda discolored later after feed sticks to it, I'll probably give him one last big bath after treatment.

I also take him and his siblings out in the sun when it's sunny/warm out because UV light may help kill whatever is bothering his skin, thanks again for the help/concern!!

Attachments

• 12hours.png
    12hours.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom