1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantams & eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spring, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    How many eggs a day will they lay? We've got a silkie, I think a cochin (a couple), Amercu one... Just wondering how many eggs we'll have?

Also, How many weeks will they be when they start to lay?

Thanks

2. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Spring,
    I am intrested in this too, as i have a buff brahma bantam, and i would like to know how her egg laying will compare to my standards. Lets hope we get some good answers! Thanks -Dom

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, I am not an expert but, silkies are not good egg producers because they go broody so much. The cochins and brahmas go broody too. So this cuts down on over all quantity. While laying you could expect maybe an egg every other day from each one. Brahmas generally will lay more eggs than cochins. I have 10 cochin banties that have just started laying and I am getting 4 eggs a day. I expect the quantity will go up as they mature a little more but when they go broody, they lay no eggs. I do not know about the ameraucana as far as broodiness or quantity. Hopefully someone else can inform you.

My cochins and one brahma started laying at 20 to 21 weeks.

Gayle
    Chi lady in Michigan

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  4. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    What's broody mean?

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Broody. A hen that covers eggs to warm and hatch them. Sometimes refers to a hen that stays in the nest for an extended period without producing eggs.

(from BYC home)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by