Bantams in Boone

anti

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Boone NC
Hello from a new member!

I am learning the ins and outs of keeping chickens as pets. I grew up in eastern NC and we had banties that were completely self sufficient but predictors here make that impossible. My husband has built me a small coop that has so far proved secure. The first thing I want to do after a day of dealing with the public is to come home and watch chickens.

It has been difficult for me to raise my own chicks but I do have one little girl that has survived. She is a Cochin type.

I do trade chickens locally so this year I ordered some chickens online. Cochin and Brahama bantams. Now that the days are warming up I can take them outside some. I have this old milk crate that I use as a coffeetable, they have adopted it as mama. They all go inside the milk crate at naptime, and when it is time to play it is still there for comfort.

So couple days ago I was sitting there and everybody was dozing in the milk crate and then suddenly just like it was the freeway this black snake goes right through the middle of the milk crate. It was over before I even knew what was happening but on the other hand it seemed to go on forever because there was a full 5 feet of snake that had to pass through.

I guess the snake was not looking for a chicken dinner and I am lucky that nobody got crushed.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new chicks, glad they are doing well. They are fun to watch aren't they, call it Chicken Television, can't stop watching. Have to say, I did not see where that story was going when you started it with the nice idyllic spring day and watching the happy little baby chicks sleep ... but am sure glad the snake kept going on its way, am sure you jumped about a mile afterwards...
You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center And it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/91762/north-carolina

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Oh my goodness, that must've given you and the chicks quite a fright! So lucky it didn't hurt the chicks though.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Wow, that was some snake story! I had visions of it not ending well. So I am relieved that it did!!

Good luck with all your chicken adventures, and it sounds like you are and will have many more of them,
smile.png
and welcome to our flock!

hide.gif
No Snakes !!!! I sure expected a bad ending. Glad it was just passing through maybe it had a predator on it's tail, for a change. Welcome to BYC

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I hate snakes. I'm glad it didn't get any of your bantams. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your bantams.

Back
Top Bottom