Bantams & regular size chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spitts11, May 13, 2010.

1. spitts11

spitts11 New Egg

May 7, 2010
    I'm new to raising chickens. I currently have bantams and am wondering if you can put 'regular' size chickens in the same coop with them?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yes

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A lot depends upon the breeds involved. Some standards are more mellow than others. And most chickens seem to pick at the top knots of silkies or Polish. Standard roosters with bantam hens can be a problem.

4. mkwags

mkwags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Davis County, Utah
    I've got both and it seems to be fine.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    They who brood together, hang in the hood together.

6. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I have been wondering this also. This may sound stupid, but will they cross?

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, you can, and yes, they will cross breed.

I'd make sure you have enough standard sized hens for a standard rooster, so he doesn't spend all his time squashing banty hens.

I have 8 large fowl hens, 1 large fowl rooster, and am adding four bantam pullets and a roo (along with five more large fowl) pullets. Right now the youngsters are segregated in a small coop with an attached, covered pen, the whole thing is inside the big chicken run. That way they see and hear each other all the time. Yesterday I opened the interior, adolescent chicken pen and the large pullets and rooster visited the kids. Only one pecked at them, but she's the usual suspect and low on the pecking order (so she had to let the kids know SHE was more important than THEY are). Then the Big Chickens lost interest and went on their way.

This weekend I'm going to let them all mingle; the kids have been out there about six weeks now (and are about 14 wks old).

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  8. Chicken D's mom

Chicken D's mom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    I've been wondering about this myself. I have two banty hens, and a barred buff Plymouth Rooster....BIG rooster. They get along fine, the Rooster is quite the gentleman, however we have yet to have any fertile eggs. I've only seen him "try" once, unsuccessfully. I think I need to get him a hen his own size.

9. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Perfectly said! LOL!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by