Bantams vs. Standard Breeds

"Bantam" is the miniature version of a Standard sized breed. However, some breeds - like Golden or Silver Sebright - have no large version, but are a true bantam breed.

So when someone says "Banties" they aren't providing the full picture of what they've got. Banty (bantam) whats????

They are both chickens......

From American Standard of Perfection
00a9.png
Bantam:
A diminutive fowl; some being distinct breeds, others being miniatures of a larger breed or variety, approximately one-fourth (1/4) to one-fifth (1/5) their weight. Usually ornamental in character, some breeds have considerable merit as egg producers, a few as meat fowl.

Chris

Quote:
I know thats right, a friend gave me a mixed rooster on time and I asked if she knew what he was crossed with and she said a Silkie and a Banty. ahhhh

But yeah, like the others said, Bantams are miniature versions of standard sized breeds. And like they said breeds such as dAnvers, dUccles, Seabrights, Dutch, Seramas, and a few other breeds, have no standard sized counterparts and are called true bantams.

Quote:
I know thats right, a friend gave me a mixed rooster on time and I asked if she knew what he was crossed with and she said a Silkie and a Banty. ahhhh

But yeah, like the others said, Bantams are miniature versions of standard sized breeds. And like they said breeds such as dAnvers, dUccles, Seabrights, Dutch, Seramas, and a few other breeds, have no standard sized counterparts and are called true bantams.

I say banties but i dont do it like everyone else does, when i ask them what kind of banties they have, they just say banties
barnie.gif
, when i say it i say it like bantie polish or bantie wyandottes.

Last edited:
Quote:

I say banties but i dont do it like everyone else does, when i ask them what kind of banties they have, they just say banties
barnie.gif
, when i say it i say it like bantie polish or bantie wyandottes.

Yeah that is ok becuase when you say it like that, people know what breed you are talking about, the problem is when people call birds banties like that is the breed it is.

I know all you experts will have an answer for me.

Do most bantams lay tiny eggs? Or are they just slightly smaller than their LF counterparts. Because if a bantam is 1/4 the size of the regular size bird, and if the egg was 1/4 the size...then I'm not sure why bantams would be so popular. I think we all like pretty chickens, but if they don't ALSO lay decent eggs...
hu.gif

Their eggs are close to 1/2 to 2/3 the size of regular - these eggs are from last year when all our (now gone, eaten by a darn fox) bantams were laying.

eggsicetray.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
They do lay fairly proportionally smaller eggs, but some people think they are just as good or better than the LF eggs.
It may take a few more bantie eggs to make your morning omlet, but I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.
lol.png

Quote:
It varies depending on the breed, I am getting into Wyandotte bantams and I have been haveing eggs shipped to me and I have found that some of the eggs are just a large as some of my largefowl breeds, and then some are tiny things as well. I have seen a few Old english bantam eggs and in my opinion they were very large considering the size of the hen.

Back
Top Bottom