Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jackson41, Nov 15, 2011.

1. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am interested in the Banty breeds. Which are the calmest and heartiest? Will they fight if you have to many roos?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have found D'uccle to be very sweet and calm.My roos are only a couple weeks old so I don't know how well they will get along. Here are some pics of mine [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Banties vary in hardiness and friendliness. A Silkie hen will most likely be more friendly than a banty Leghorn hen, but a banty Leghorn hen might be hardier than a Silkie hen. Personally, I believe that gamefowl bantams (American, Old English) are the hardiest of most bantams. They are also very friendly.

The downside to gamefowl banties is that the males have a tendency to fight. I'm not sure if they fight to the death or not, but I know that their large counterparts do. This also goes for many bantam Oriental gamefowl breeds, such as the Ko-Shamo (a true bantam).

Most banties, however, are good with other roos as long as they've been raised together in close proximity. My d'Uccle cockerel and my Old English cockerel get along fine most of the time, though recent quarrels over females have started to creep up. As long as there are plenty of gals for each guy, they seem to do fine [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. jackson41

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    They are Beautiful! Do you let them free range with supervision?

5. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Most old English game bantam cockbird s will learn too get along, they will rarely fight beyond the first few hours. Modern game bantam cockbird s normally get along fine. The moderns are in general very friendly and easy to tame.

6. jackson41

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:If you end up with too many roos do you butcher them like standard breeds. I have only found straight run chicks or eggs for sale.

7. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:We have the chicks in a little wire cage "pyramid" with their foster bantam black cochin hen. Bantam cochins are also adorable and friendly! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  8. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:If you end up with too many roos do you butcher them like standard breeds. I have only found straight run chicks or eggs for sale.

I haven't butchered any of my banty roos yet, but I am thinking that one of them, a White-faced Black Spanish cockerel, might look delicious on a sandwich [​IMG] He's not necessarily mean to other roosters: but he's mean to me and my family.

9. Garciafarm

Garciafarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    cool, i just got my chickens and i have a tread in here trying to figure out what are they . maybe bantams. they seem to be ok right now. but you right they probably fit on a sandwich. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by