Bantom rooster attacking people!!

Lugrbe

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 22, 2012
My little bantom rooster "rusty" is really mean!! when I walk up to him to give him food, he is fine the problem is when I walk away he attacks me!! What do I do!!! Now if my buff rooster "popcorn" sees rusty attacking someone he will come and scare rusty off.. I don't know what to do. Is there someway I can stop him from attacking people? I really don't want to get rid of him!! Please help!

You have three choices: you can try to "rehab" him (there are many threads on here on what people have tried - as far as I can tell, there is no foolproof method of doing so. Sometimes you get lucky and it works, sometimes it doesn't). You can get rid of him (sell him, give him away, or eat him) or, you can do nothing and put up with getting attacked. Personally, I won't keep a rooster that attacks. We eat that kind here. I enjoy having chickens, and if a chicken makes my life miserable, it's gone.

I would eat him but he is TINY!! he would be a good snack though..:) I will look at the rehab posts and try that if that dosent work he's gone!! Thank you!!

I would eat him but he is TINY!! he would be a good snack though..:) I will look at the rehab posts and try that if that dosent work he's gone!! Thank you!!
I'll bet there's still more meat on that bird than in a batch of store-bought canned chicken noodle soup! You can skin him, gut him, and throw the carcass with onions, carrots and celery in a slow-cooker for the day, cooking him until the meat falls off the bones and you'd have a nice, tasty soup base.
droolin.gif
That's exactly what I'm doing with one I butchered on Sunday. I boned out the breast meat, wings, legs and thighs (grilled all that) and put the carcass in the crockpot. I'm going to freeze the broth.

I'll bet there's still more meat on that bird than in a batch of store-bought canned chicken noodle soup! You can skin him, gut him, and throw the carcass with onions, carrots and celery in a slow-cooker for the day, cooking him until the meat falls off the bones and you'd have a nice, tasty soup base.
droolin.gif
That's exactly what I'm doing with one I butchered on Sunday. I boned out the breast meat, wings, legs and thighs (grilled all that) and put the carcass in the crockpot. I'm going to freeze the broth.
That's what I'd do. I don't have mean roos as a rule, but when one starts attacking I've had no luck re-training/re-directing etc. And I will no longer take the time, energy, effort, scratched legs to try. Come at me once, okay, I'll kick your butt and see if you think I'm not boss. Come at me again, you're gone.

That's what I'd do. I don't have mean roos as a rule, but when one starts attacking I've had no luck re-training/re-directing etc. And I will no longer take the time, energy, effort, scratched legs to try. Come at me once, okay, I'll kick your butt and see if you think I'm not boss. Come at me again, you're gone.
Best advice right here. Don't rehome him then your just giving someone else your problem. Camp Kenmore.

I do have a friend who has a place that she takes her mean roosters. I forget what they do... I really would prefer to give him to that place rather than kill him. It would be a lot of work for a chicken I hate! Thank you all for your ideas.

My bantam rooster gets a hair up his butt and attacks me, I pretty much ignore it. He ain't full sized and I can swat him like a mosquito. I can't imagine him hurting me. Does yours leave marks when he attacks? He mostly goes after my ankles it's more of a annoyance then a danger. He flew up to my shoulders once and I caught him mid flight and he hasn't tried that again. I find hm laughable of course I have had full sized roo after me and that was down right terrifying. Does he leave marks when attacking?

My bantam cochin that got mean scratched the ever-lovin crap out of my legs. I didn't want my husband to kill him right off, so I told my honey I'd got tangled up in the blackberries. Yeah, very scratched.

But to me the thing isn't the amount of damage they can do, it's dominance. I'm queen of this acre. I wouldn't let a small dog get by with biting, I won't let a small rooster get by with attacking. It's not cute, it's saying he's dominant over me. I'm not getting a shirt that says "A 2 pound rooster is the boss of me".

Back
Top Bottom