Bantoms

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Red Dog Ranch, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Red Dog Ranch

Red Dog Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    I have about 30 chickens now and have thought about adding a few Bantoms into the flock, do they mix o.k. or is that a very bad idea? What I have now are mixed breeds, I just love chickens. It would be expensive to build another whole coop and run. What I have now has lots of room in the run and coop.

2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I have bantams in with LF breeds now! A Silkie and d'Uccle with a Jersey trio and 2 d'Uccle and an OEGB with RSLs and they all do great!

3. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    i think it will be ok i know i have some with bigger chickens and they are all happy

4. SuperChickenDude327

SuperChickenDude327 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Also, you may want to change it to bantams.

Anyways, I'm getting a whole lotta birds next year, some bantam breeds included. I've read that they do need to be integrated slowly, just like any other chicken. I'm going to be raising 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Silkies, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes (if I can find them. Other option is Turkens.), Bourbon red turkeys, royal palm turkeys, pearl guinea fowl, and possibly a runner duck or a peacock.
    [​IMG] Hope it won't be to much.

5. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I have a Gold and Silver Laced Wyandotte bantam in with my 18 standard sized chickens. She gets along just fine with the others. I think she thinks she's the same size of the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by