1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Banty breed ID please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mom2jedi, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    A friend of mine is trying to rehome this pair for a friend of hers. My friend said they were a bantam cochin pair. Just got pictures sent to me and they don't look anything like cochins bantam or not. She also said the hen lays little brown eggs. The white chicken in the last picture is a leghorn so you can see how small they are. Any ideas? Also, what color would these guys be?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    They are mixed bantams that appear to have had sebright in their background. There is not a specific color pattern represented other than some silver lacing. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what else is in the mix.

3. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thought there was sebright in there because of the dropped wings but the roo has normal male feathers so it threw me off.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I, too, thought, "Ahhh, some Sebright has snuck into that gene pool!" They're both really pretty birds, even if they are mixed breeds.

5. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Kinda looks like one of mine that died. Check out a silver laced OEG Bantie.

6. resthavenfarms

resthavenfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    SW Virginia
    Roo looks sebright/Japanese bantam cross to me.

7. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Was just looking on Feathersite and noticed all the pictures of Sebrights had rosecombs. These two have pretty straightforward single combs. Does that mean they don't have Sebright after all most likely? Maybe OEG and Japanese mix?

8. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    I dont think they are mixed breed birds at all, they look to be Silver Laced OEGB. But they are for sure not Cochin Bantams.

~Casey

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Mr. Ree :

I dont think they are mixed breed birds at all, they look to be Silver Laced OEGB. But they are for sure not Cochin Bantams.

~Casey

X2​

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The hen looks to me like a picture on Feathersite of a "Mealy Grey" OEG bantam. Also looks like the Birchen hen a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by