Banty that wont leave nesting box

sister

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 27, 2012
Colville, WA
I have a banty hen that will not leave a nesting box unless I pick her up and kick her out onto the yard. This has gone on for about 3 months or so. It is getting really old. She hasn't laid any eggs the whole time and she switches boxes. I even put her in a separate space for 1 day, as soon as I let her out, she ran right into the coop.
Any suggestions would be great appreciated. Thank You.

She is broody, and you will have to lock her away from the nest boxes for far longer than one day. Setting takes a lot out of a hen. It is imperative that you break her broodiness - 3 months of broodiness is quite debilitating. Hens never lay eggs while they are setting. It will probably take her quite a while to recover and resume production.

Thanks sourland, will lock her up in my little A frame. How long do you think I should lock her away from nest boxes?

I'd give it at least a week. If upon release she returns to the nest box - back to the A-frame with her.

Thank you sourland for your advice on my banty hen that was setting for 3 months and when removed from box would run right back.
I locked her up for a week. I let her out last Sunday evening. She is doing great, seems so weird to see her out and about. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom