Barbe hasn't laid in 2 days... should I be concerned?

Andrea PNW

Songster
Sep 4, 2020
Hey duck fam - wondering if I am overreacting a bit (I can do that when it comes to my babies) but Barbe - who will be a year old in July - hasn't laid an egg in two days after consistently doing so since Jan/Feb. She did lose her hubby Ed about two weeks ago to a raccoon (SOB) and while she was always a little "touched" in the head, she seems to be even more so now. I had heard that trauma can impact a hen's laying habits but she had been regular these past two weeks until I noticed yesterday she didn't lay.

She doesn't seem to have any of the egg-bound symptoms - is eating treats, foraging like normal and her abdomen doesn't appear to be distended. So maybe it's delayed mourning over Ed?

I did look all over the duck house to see if she was hiding them in a different spot but couldn't find any.

Thank's y'all!

AC

I wouldn't worry to the point of taking action. And I worry a lot. I would observe her closely.

You could always take her to the vet for an x-ray, an ultrasound, and bloodwork. Personally I wouldn't unless her appetite or energy levels change. At that point I would consider it an emergency and take her to CBeam. They take emergency appointments 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom