Bare bottom girl

cravenchx

Songster
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Piedmont of NC
One of my 6 month old girls has a bare bottom.
It happened literally overnight. There is no blood,
pus, etc. She is eating, drinking and pooing within
normal. I have read here that this may be normal.
Really? It looks weird!
102789_cimg1989.jpg

102789_cimg1982.jpg

The exact same thing happened to two of my 3 girls just like you literallly overnight. After two trips to the vet it was still a complete mystery until the vet suggested that I separate the two with bald butts from the one that was still normal. Turns out that while sitting on the perch at night they were getting feather picked, something that I later witnessed for myself with a little night time observation. At one point they were picked at so much that there would be blood showing. I tried all the suggestions of anti-pick sprays and increasing protein but nothing worked. Finally I had to give up the feather picker and within several weeks I had fluffy butt girls again and they have been fine for almost 8 months now. Good luck & keep us posted to what you find.

barnie.gif

I guess I'll have to do some spying.
I haven't seen any abnormal feather
picking in daylight hours. By abnormal,
I mean, they appear to groom each other
from time to time. But, no fighting!

I have a few baldies. Just keep an eye on them, if there is any blood, it is possible for them to turn into vampire cannibals.
Some times they just have to be bad girls....
Use Blu Kote if there is any bloody mess, and warning it is a mess to use... but the color will throw them off.

Last edited:
Bare butts and/or lower backs=feather picking. Nasty habit to try to break, and it is contagious. You need to figure out who is doing the deed ASAP and separate that bird from the flock for a few weeks. Hopefully, after a few weeks the bird will go back into the flock as a newbie and not be able to pick on any girls without getting a beat down. If that doesn't work then I'd recommend removing the culprit from your flock. This habit is readily learned by other birds and before you know it- half your flock is bald.

Good luck.

Absolutely right! I tried for weeks and spent a lot of money on all the tips and tricks...in the end the only thing that worked was permanetly separating the culprit. Hated to do it but now the fluffy butts are back and no more problems.

You guys are great. I think it's one of the leghorns.
One more question - Do you think it happens during
the day or at night? We may have to do some redecorating
of the roosts.

Quote:
That could be your problem as well the roost too close and good acsess to those fluffy butts, Try that along with Bluekote and see if it makes a difference. They are probably sleep during the night unless you have a light on so I say before bed or early morning hours before let out.

Back
Top Bottom