Bare Bottoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reneel524, Mar 28, 2015.

1. reneel524

reneel524 New Egg

Jun 20, 2014
    [​IMG]
    2 of my girls, one a light brahma one a barred rock are missing a large round area of feathers on their backside. I dont see any type of discharge on the skin, any idea what could be causing thia

2. Kendrain

Kendrain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Ritzville
    I got 8 hens last year from a fAmily members. One of them have had a completely naked back side since then. No signs of parasites and no-one is bothering her bare butt. She lays an egg practically everyday. Thank goodness. I would look to see if there is any sign of parasites first and then maybe just keep an eye out for it getting any worse.

3. reneel524

reneel524 New Egg

Jun 20, 2014
    They are both laying daily as well, they were feathered there and then all of a sudden they seem to both have this crop circle action going on their back side. My other hen is totally normal

4. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Have you inspected for lice and mites?

5. reneel524

reneel524 New Egg

Jun 20, 2014
    I have and i dont physically see anything. We just thawed out, hopefully for good and i plan on taking the whole coop down and giving it a good cleaning, along with the mulch and sand in their run i do keep a light lining of ceder chips mixed in the bedding inside the coop, i was hoping mites or lice would have a hard time tolerating that.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There's probably a feather picker in your flock. Purchase Nu-Stock and put it on the bald areas. It'll be in the equine section at your feed store. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it. Continue applying as necessary until healed/feather regrowth.

7. reneel524

reneel524 New Egg

Jun 20, 2014
    Maybe that would explain why one hen has an untouched bottom? I will get that stuff and give it a try

8. Kendrain

Kendrain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Ritzville
    I am go I my to try this too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by