Bare Bummed Buff

ChickenLuva

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
MA/NH border
Hello! I have a two year old Buff Orpington with a bare bum! She has been this way for at least a year. I'm new to this site so I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas. At the advice of my vet, I checked her and the other chickens for mites...no mites. I've never treated them for worms either, but also see no evidence that they may have them. I have three Rhode Island Reds and the one Buff Orpington. The Reds are just fine, but I sometimes wonder if the cubbies where they lay their eggs may be the problem. The Reds are much smaller than the Buff and I was concerned that her bottom may rub on the back wall of the cubby when she is in there to lay. I've tried putting a large deep bin on the floor of the coop for her to lay in, but she continues to use the cubby. She doesn't sleep there at night like the rest of the girls, she sleeps on the floor of the coop. She appears very healthy, but is just sort of a cheeky chicken with her exposed pink bum walking around the yard.
smile.png
Its not inflamed or red, but I'm concerned if it puts her at risk for any infection or anything. Thanks so much!

I have a few BR's and RSL's that are the same way. I agree, it looks like it's been rubbed by sitting in the nesting boxes. My hens just push the shavings to the sides of the nesting boxes and lay on the plywood flooring.

** BUMP**
Well...Isn't that a site?
hu.gif

Just curious and can't tell from the pic.... Are there pin feathers attempting to grow in that area?

Otherwise I don't think I'm the one to answer your question.
Good Luck!

Hi PeeperKeeper. It is quite a site, and frequently makes me giggle. There are a few scattered pin feathers in that area, but not what I would hope to see. For the most part, its just bare. I worry about her in the winter, it gets really cold here. So far she's been okay without snow pants.

Our Dark Cornish is the same way -- we thought it was molting, since it also lost a lot of feathers around her neck. but She never went ahead to the rest of a molt (and now another one has, I know better what that looks like). Seems fine and healthy otherwise. I'm reassured that yours has been this way for two years without it progressing into a serious issue -- makes me think it might be no big deal after all.

Good Heavens! get her a pair of frilly little panties.
gig.gif

I agree, if she has been that way all this time and has no symptoms of being ill and eats well, its probably fine.

It is curious though as to why it happens to some.

Have you seen the pic I posted of my bare butt Buff Rooster? ("Rooster might have mites") Does anyone think this might be the same thing? I searched for threads on mites, and the results that I found didn't seem to relate to my Buff, I couldn't find any bugs on him. So I asked for advice, but no one really seems sure about what it is. Only that it doesn't look good.

Back
Top Bottom