Bare Butts? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by K9Lover, Jan 19, 2011.

1. K9Lover

K9Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    One of my girls has a bare butt! All of the feathers are gone in just that area.... what is going on?

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    As long as no one is acting weird, that is probably a small molt. Supply extra protein for strong, healthy feathers to grow back in the following weeks. Such as BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), limited meats (un-salted or buttered), more table scraps, etc. You could also change the flock to a new feed with a higher protein intake.

3. K9Lover

Jul 4, 2010
    Thanks! But what do you mean by limited meats (Unsalted or buttered) ? I give LOT's of table scraps and she does not seem to be too bothered by it or acting strange.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    you might have a feather plucker in the group, observe them for a while

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old is the chicken?

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Sounds like their getting cannablistic. I've been fighting this problem as well. I've tried everything to stop this behaviour . Do you free range your chickens?

7. K9Lover

Jul 4, 2010
    I sat and watched them and only one other pecked at her, but it was not significant. I have 6 girls that are all 8 months old. and they are not free range. They have a very large area though and a very nice coop. It's off because the bare area is so perfect in shape. Just under her tail feathers. It's not bleeding or scabbed.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    If I ever figure out how to stop feather pecking I'm gonna write a book.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In the absence of mites (have you checked for those?), it would be my (educated) guess that what you are seeing is perfectly normal if the pullet is of the age to have laid at least a few eggs.
    Not feather picking, not cannibalism, just normal wear and tear from laying eggs. Molting usually starts on the head and works it's way back.
    Can you post pics of the girls behind?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by