Bare Vent Area

newchick49

Chirping
Jul 6, 2008
Southwest Ohio
I am not sure if this is a problem or not. My BR is 9mos old. She seems to be laying alright, eating fine and acting normal. However, I noticed a couple of days ago that the feathers around her vent (about 3/4 inch directly in circumference of the vent) are missing. The area doesn't seem red or swollen, just pink. There is no discharge or anything around the area. Is this normal or is there something else going on? The other three girls seem fine and they don't seem to be having this problem. Appreciate any help!!

I am having the same problem whith about 5 of my RIRs. I posted the problem here and got some good advise. First I thought mites or lice. Dusted each bird and the coop but accually saw no evidence of mites or lice. I use DE abundantly so I don't think mites are my problem. I have narrowed my problem down to picking and Im not sure how to stop it. Also considered molting but I read that they molt from the head back and not the tail up.

There is a third possibility. I can't say if this is your situation, though. I had a hen that age who picked her own feathers to create a bare circle of flesh when she went broody. As a precaution I dusted her with DE and Dri-Kill but as I observed her, she seemed obsessed with creating a warm patch to hatch eggs- we don't even have a roo!

I'd treat as you suggest and observe scrupulously. I found it helped to get to the coop early to collect eggs too. Took her 2 weeks to normalize and now I'm seeing feathers re-grow.
cool.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. After closer inspection it seems as if she is bare even further down below her vent. It looks like some of the feathers are trying to grow back already. I don't know if it is mites or not but I bought some poultry dust and I am going to dust them all. I haven't noticed any mites and the others don't seem to have the same problem.
hmm.png

If you think it might possibly be from others pecking her, you can buy some Rooster Booster, an anti-peck lotion, and coat her with it. It is similar to pine tar, but is all natural. We were given a sweet little hen who had been pecked by her "roommates" (they didn't even have a rooster) and I went and bought the Rooster Booster, and covered her bare spots with it. So much better!!!

Back
Top Bottom