Bareback Hens....How do I fix it???

TK Poultry

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Greencastle, Indiana
I just bought some RIR bantams and they are in pretty rough shape. I bought them that way. Most if not all of my birds stay in pretty good condition all of the time. I NEVER let them get to this point. I dont know if its the rooster of if its stress I really dont know. I've had them for four days.... and I want to start fixing this as soon as possible. I can see pin feahters coming in but I'm assumning they just get pulled out. I've heard feeding them cat food speeds up this process of regrowing feathers....but I dont know you tell me.

Here is a picture of one of the worse hens
32413_6-8-2010_037.jpg

I had several do the same thing. I don't have a rooster, so all I can figure out is stress from heat or the onset of their laying. They are all wearing saddles now and have good feather regrowth. Before the saddles the others would just pick the pin feathers out.

Quote:
I purchased two hens back at the middle of March. They were barebacked pretty good, about dollar bill sized on their lower back. One of the girls went broody, so she went into her own pen to hatch out eggs. It is now June and her feathers have just come back in. I hope this helps!! Also, she has been eating 18% chick starter for the past six weeks, just to give you an idea.

somewhere there is a no sew chicken saddle pattern, it is really easy. we brought home 2 frizzles with bare backs,with some good food the saddles and fresh air they had feathers in no time!

The saddles work well, just make sure you loosen the bridle a bit and cinch up the stirups a little high so they dont drag on the ground.
lol.png

The bridle a bit...get it??

Bantyrooster

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom