"Barking" duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Apr 4, 2012.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My adult female runner has started doing this "barking" noise. First she would just do one bark at a time, now she is doing a bunch of them. It seems like it only happens when she is out of the pen area, rooting around in the garden or manure pile or somewhere fun. She breathes normally, her eyes are clear and normal looking, no nasal discharge, she is active, I think she is laying, nothing looks odd. She is the first one out of the shed in the am, and right to the water. I first thought it was a happy noise, and it might be. But is has increased. No other ducks do it, but then again, she is the only female runner we have. I am willing to take her to the vet if it is necessary. But I have little to go on when I get her there. I am trying to get a video of it with my phone. It is weird and concerns me. But I don't want to subject her to getting put in a carrier, and going to the vet if I don't have to.
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    she is probably just talking with her mouth full. my ducks used to bark and squeak when they were wolfing down their food. i think its because they are so excited they cant wait to swallow to broadcast to the rest of the flock they food something tasty. if you clean out their barn and put fresh hay the females will make a cooing / purring sound

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When my runners get something in their throats that is particularly dry, they will make a kind of loud squeak, it could sound like a yip dog. Generally a drink of water fixes it.

If it becomes chronic, it may be a sign of gape worm, if I understand correctly. But the occasional yip is probably the duck trying to clear her throat.

4. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    She does do it when she has gotten into an area full of dry stuff, dried manure, leaves, etc. And she is a PIG. So, maybe she is just she just gets so much stuff caught in her throat that she coughs/chokes. It never happens when they are in their shed or she is eating her pellets, peas or cabbage.
    Thanks, I feel better. I will continue to watch her and if I see any eye or nasal issues, or behavior change, to the vet she goes!

5. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    I just googled gape worm. It doesn't seem like that is what is going on. There would be signs of unhealthiness that are not showing in her. Not to say that it is impossible, but at least now I think that is doubtful. Thanks tho, always good to rule things out.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think gape worm may be the least likely cause, but I don't like to ignore possibilities that can be serious that also can be fixed.

Seems to me she just takes big bites of dry stuff sometimes, like some of my ducks do.

I think eating seeds with awns (little fibers that stick out) can do that.

7. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks Amiga. I think you are right. She gets soooo excited when they can get loose and root around the manure pile (not MY idea of a fun time[​IMG], but they love it!). I think she just gets into the dry stuff and goes a bit too overboard. I have never heard her do it when they are in the pen, just when they are loose. Guess I have my answer. I did not want to let it go without asking though, just in case.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I thought of you earlier this afternoon when one of my runners coughed like that. Just once. Rooting around in the dry leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by