Barley and salt

dottysfarm

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Eau Claire, WI
Hey all, I have read on here in a couple of inconspicuous(sp?) places two things:

1. that chickens don't like barley

2. salt in chicken water is bad

Anyone want to expound on these things for me? Here is why. I can get rather inexpensive organic barley and organic oats from a local grainary... I considered using barley instead of wheat when I get a feed mix put together?

Also, our water is supposedly so high in iron that it is bad even for livestock so we have a water softener... from what I understand the water softener goes through a process where salt is added to the water... so what does this mean for my chickens?

Anyone? Thanks!
smile.png

i got a ton of free barely and i mix it with corn and oats and my chickens and ducks have been eating it for a year now,and everyone is healthy..I was told that there isnt much nutrition in barley but my chickens like it just fine,,as for the water softener ..we also have one and this is the first time ever hearing that isnt good for them,,all of my animals drink the water and everyone seem fine

Quote:
The water softener takes the salt back out.

(We have high iron water but we just never get anemic)

If they eat it then they eat it for the barley- mine don't turn down much of anything once they understand its for them to eat.

Water softeners that use salt leave sodium in the water. It can kill plants and isn't good for people that are on sodium restricted diets. I use unsoftened water for cooking, drinking, watering plants and watering my animals and chickens. Softened water is for cleaning, basically. Some people aren't concerned about the extra sodium in the diet, others are.

Back
Top Bottom