Barley Vs Wheat

@U_Stormcrow thanks..but in my first post I wrote that wheat and barley are the same price here.

I give them layers feed (mix) in the morning and then only wheat for the rest of the day. Common practice here. Plus, mine are free range.
Yes, and I was responding to your questions in your post. Why Corn? Because its cheap. and otherwise inferior.

The difference in choice between barley and wheat USED to come down to what was grown locally - but modern transportation and global markets have essentially erased those regional differences in availability (which has erased a lot of price disparity). If you want to get down into the weeds, you can compare Barley Grain to Brewers Grains to Wheat and Durum Wheat to Wheat Middlins. Hard (Durum) wheat is a superior protein source to Soft Wheat, which tends to look a lot more like Barley in its overall nutritional makeup - though as every brewer knows, there's a difference between 2 row and 6 row barley, as well. But generally speaking, they are largely interchangeable, with hard winter wheat (due to its superior overall protein content) being my preference, other things being equal).

Back
Top Bottom