Barn Cat?-Update

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
We brought home an awesome mouser last night. He hung around the house, had some dinner and got lots of love from the kiddos. I haven't seen him around all morning. Should I be worried? Is he just exploring his new home or do you think he high tailed it back to his old home? We all fell in love with him!!

Thanks, Sonja

Last edited:
If its a tom cat then he is out wondering.. But most cats stay in the top of the barn , during the day.. since its so hot out, they finde them a nice dark place and lay down, maby he will be back tonight
smile.png

He's always been an outdoor cat. I'm hoping he'll be around tonight. He seemed happy, and he was being really friendly. Hmmm, maybe he's hanging out under the chicken coop.

Sonja

The other thing to remember is that if he has no reference points (which he won't if he is new to the area) he could get lost and not be able to find his way back.

My guess is that he will show back up. I have read that you should keep them in your house or barn for 2/3 days before letting them out. This way they know where home is. Sometimes though, this isn't possible. I have moved my cats from house to house and town to town and they know this is where the food and love is! I hope yours shows his face today. He sounds like a great cat. (arnt they all?
big_smile.png
) He is probablly just exploring. Keep us posted
smile.png

big_smile.png
Bear came home last night for supper. He got lots of love and cuddles from the kiddos, and then headed back out. He came back around sometime during the night because the little dish of milk I left for him was empty. I guess we just need to remember that he's a hunter and not a lap kitty. Thanks for your advice!

Sonja

Our male cat is the same way. He is out most of the day. He occasionally comes home for an afternoon nap. If he comes home too late at night, he cries outside of our bedroom window. He is such a baby. He isn't a "barn cat", but an "enclosed back porch cat".
gig.gif
:gig

Glad your cat came home.

So I have one more question, since I would like bear to hang out around the house instead of hunting the whole yard and woods behind us. If I don't have a barn to keep him in and he's always been an outdoor cat so he's not little box trained, where can I put him for a week so he knows this is new home? (Whew, nothing like a giant run on sentence!)

Sonja

Back
Top Bottom