Barn Cat?-Update

I was happy to read that he came home! It sounds like he may already have it figured out that he is at home. As far as how far he wanders I am not sure what you can do about that. We have several barn cats. Some are always within shouting distance but others, male, are gone for a few days at a time. I have been told if a male cat is fixed he will not wander as far.

Bear is fixed, but he has a 4 acres of our yard to wander and then a nat'l forest behind us. He likes to go into the forest, but I need him to take care of the critters close to the house. Any suggestions?

Sonja

We always keep new cats or kittens in a really big dog crate with food, water, litter box and toys. We take them out everyday and play with them, talk to them whenever we walk by, etc. We keep them in for about a week.

He may just be exploring, but it would be a better idea to keep him close for a while. At this point, it would be easy for him to take up residence somewhere else, since he is not that attached to your place.

Hi, I don't think a small cat crate would be good, maybe if you have a large dog wire crate so he has more room to move around in also you will need to leave a bowl of water and a bowl of hard food in there for him, put an old towel to sleep on, give him treats in the crate while you are both relaxed, let him check the crate out, leave it open during the day so he can lay in there if he wants, also put in a litter box you would be surprised how quickly they use it, like a duck to water:D You will also have to put it in an area that is protected from the weather, or put a tarp over the top and three sides of the crate, you will have to keep one end uncovered so he can get air. If the crate is to small when you let him out the next day he might run away and not come back. Good Luck hope it works!

Well, I did put him in the small crate last night. Other than one accident he was fine, and very cuddly this morning. My son and I gave Bear some milk and lots of love. It's rainy this morning, so he's sticking close to the house and exploring. He knows where is water bowl is on the deck, since he came up for a drink. I think we're starting to make some head way. At last check he was sitting under a tree in the front yard cleaning himself. What should I do with him tonight or will staying around today help him? Bear does come home at night, so he seems to know where his dinner is.

Thanks, Sonja

I would be careful with the milk, believe it or not, a lot of cats are lactose intolerant! It will give them a stomach ache and diarrhea. Not sure if you are feeding him regular cat food but in case you are not, I would definitely feed him. Some people believe they will hunt better if they are hungry and that is simply not true. Cats hunt because they love it and he will stay much healthier if fed a balanced diet and not made to live off mice, etc.

I agree about them hunting for fun. All of our cats are well fed with cat chow, some more well fed than others and the hunters are out hunting for mice and rats regardless of the food we supply. We know that because some bring them to the back door and leave them for us to find - hate it when I feel something with my bare feet in the dark. Others eat their catch so we only find small pieces of those.
We are also one of the stops on an old tomcat's rounds. He belongs to no one but we have met 2 others that feed him thinking he has no one else that cares about him. Give Bear food and he'll come back for that along with a little loving.

Bear has a bowl of cat food on the deck at all times. Today a little got dumped in the grass, and he thought that was pretty cool! I'll lay off the milk, just in case. He seems to really enjoy it though. He's been sticking close today, so hopefully we're on the right track!

Sonja

My Mom used to give our big black cat a raw egg every morning. That was 30 years ago, there is prob a study somewhere saying it is bad for them! However it sounds like a good use of an extra egg or two!

Back
Top Bottom