Barn cats?

If you still need help with this...... here you go........ I have an amazing barn cat that just knows not to eat the chickens. I would suggest that you get a kitten (the breed really doesn't matter for a barn cat, but I would suggest one with long thick fur for cold winters) so that you can get it used to chickens, ducks, and whatever else at a young age. Maybe take a risk and try to get in imprinted on a chick.

@Fuchsia I might be able to help you out. I have 4 barn/house kittens looking for new homes. Already used to being around free range chickens with no issues. Mama cat is an amazing hunter who brings mice, birds (not chickens) ect to them so (hopefully) they will be good hunters. I'm near Jamestown NY.

Last edited:
@Fuchsia I might be able to help you out. I have 4 barn/house kittens looking for new homes. Already used to being around free range chickens with no issues. Mama cat is an amazing hunter who brings mice, birds (not chickens) ect to them so (hopefully) they will be good hunters. I'm near Jamestown NY.
Oh, thanks! I might be needing one :lol:

Oh, thanks! I might be needing one :lol:
Just let me know. I guess I actually have 7. 3 would be ready now (2 males, 1 female), the other 4 (all females) would be end of January. I like to get them to about 3 months before rehoming. That way I'm sure they are eating really well and fully weaned off the Mama.

Hello :frow

I am thinking about getting a barn cat, mostly to keep down rats, but my cousin has one and it ate almost half of her chickens. So how do you keep a cat from eating chickens or ducks? Is there a certain breed to get?

Any advice or tips would be great . Thanks, Anna
When we first got chickens I was worried about mice being attracted by the feed and grain. So, we got 2, 8 week old kittens and made them a place in the loft above where our hens roost. In no time the kittens decide that they were actually chickens! When the door opened in the morning they would flood out with the girls and spend most of the day wandering around with the hens. If I call with treats they would come running to partake. That was fifteen or so years ago, and those 2 kittens are no longer with us, but the relationship that started with those first hens and kittens has been passed down through several generations on both sides and we have never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom