barn into chicken coop

Except for the 2 Silkies that gave up laying, we got good egg production last winter. Averaged 5-6 eggs per week, per chicken. The Silkies are only 2 1/2 years old, give it take, and haven’t laid anything much in the last year. But they are cute & funny, so they get to stay on the “early retirement” program. We got 5 chicks this spring, hatched 4/30, so hopefully they will start laying soon.

We are also using a corner of a barn for our girls. It was very dark in there as well. I finally cut a hole in the wall and put a window in their stall. That made a huge difference in the light inside. Last winter I did end up putting in a strand of Christmas LED lights on a timer for the morning because they would come down off their roost but not go into the nest box, instead laying their eggs on the floor under it. After putting the LED lights in, they were back to using the nest box... maybe couldn't see well enough to jump up to it.

This summer we were given a couple solar panels and we have a small light bulb (like for a car) in there and on all night. It makes it so that it isn't pitch black but not very bright either. That way if the young ones go off their roost for some reason, they can see to go back up. Also, I put a roost by the window... they all love that!

so I have decided because I am getting more chickens and meat birds I'm turning my barn into a coop. it's 25ft in length and 12 ft wide. I'm so excited to do this. I'm also putting a run behind it. question though is about lighting. should I use certain lighting in there or just regular bulbs I use in my house. the barn is very dark so should I put my lights on a timer to keep them laying in the winter.

Congrats on expanding! From another chicken momma using a part of a barn for a coop, I use regular bulbs in ours. We have a ceiling, due to the hay mow above - if yours is wide open on top you may have to play with lighting to see what would be bright enough. If you don't have windows, I would highly recommend putting one or two in, if that is at all an option. Our end stall is for the chickens. I put a window in the one side and then most of the winter, I would also open the barn door a crack to let in more light, weather permitting. I'm planning to put a window in the barn door in the next week or so, so that there is more light for them this winter. The top half of the stall is wire on the inside walls. The chicken door to your run will also let in some light. My girls had zero interest in going out into the snow tho… that is why I want to put in another window... more free light.

Back
Top Bottom