barn into chicken coop

chickenmomma6

Songster
Apr 23, 2018
st helen, michigan
so I have decided because I am getting more chickens and meat birds I'm turning my barn into a coop. it's 25ft in length and 12 ft wide. I'm so excited to do this. I'm also putting a run behind it. question though is about lighting. should I use certain lighting in there or just regular bulbs I use in my house. the barn is very dark so should I put my lights on a timer to keep them laying in the winter.

You could put lights in their if you wanted to. I personally would go with heat lamps during the winter because A. Keep em warm B. It tricks them into believing the day is not short. Having a heat lamps depends on your ventilation and also it’s a potential fire hazard some aren’t willing to risk. I would say if your coop doesn’t have windows at least keep some lights in there for the winter months

so I have decided because I am getting more chickens and meat birds I'm turning my barn into a coop. it's 25ft in length and 12 ft wide. I'm so excited to do this. I'm also putting a run behind it. question though is about lighting. should I use certain lighting in there or just regular bulbs I use in my house. the barn is very dark so should I put my lights on a timer to keep them laying in the winter.
Oooo... to have that much space!! Am Jeally!

I would add windows for light and ventilation.
If you want lights for winter laying, they must be on a timer.

It's doubtful you need heat lamps and red light is useless for winter laying.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-8-26_16-13-39.png

Oooo... to have that much space!! Am Jeally!

I would add windows for light and ventilation.
If you want lights for winter laying, they must be on a timer.

It's doubtful you need heat lamps and red light is useless for winter laying.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 1516166

I updated it, I'm in northern michigan. houghton lake area

I updated it, I'm in northern michigan. houghton lake area
Make sure the timed light comes on in the morning until sunrise and never at sunset. Artificial light at sunset will keep them from go to roost and when the timer turns the light off, they are instantly plunged into darkness and can hurt themselves trying to get to the roosts.

Artificial light at sunset will keep them from go to roost and when the timer turns the light off, they are instantly plunged into darkness and can hurt themselves trying to get to the roosts.
Nah, it won't.
Many use both early and late lighting due to not wanting crowing at 3am.
@lazy gardener uses an early/late split with no problems.

I use split AM/PM lighting in the winter also. 2 strings of fairly bright LED Christmas lights on a timer, set for 5:00-8:00 AM and 3:30-5:30 PM, and a single string of not so bright LED lights that turns on at dusk and shuts off at 8:30. This puts the lights on so I can see them in the morning before I leave for work and they are on when I get home in the evening. The single string that stays on the latest is bright enough for me to check them, and they can see to do chicken things in the coop, but dim enough that they know it’s pretty much time to roost. I’ve never had a problem with them not roosting before it shuts off.

I use split AM/PM lighting in the winter also. 2 strings of fairly bright LED Christmas lights on a timer, set for 5:00-8:00 AM and 3:30-5:30 PM, and a single string of not so bright LED lights that turns on at dusk and shuts off at 8:30. This puts the lights on so I can see them in the morning before I leave for work and they are on when I get home in the evening. The single string that stays on the latest is bright enough for me to check them, and they can see to do chicken things in the coop, but dim enough that they know it’s pretty much time to roost. I’ve never had a problem with them not roosting before it shuts off.
The string lights are probably not bright enough to provide the light they need to stimulate the pineal gland....so you're only getting 12.5 hours, has that been enough to keep older birds laying all winter?

Back
Top Bottom