Barn Lime in stinky covered run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by citychicken1, Jan 22, 2011.

1. citychicken1

citychicken1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Hello, Can any one tell me how much Barn Lime to apply to a 5x10 covered run? It's dry but boy dose it stink! [​IMG]

2. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I'm going to subscribe to this thread since I heard it was a bad, bad thing to expose birds to lime. I'm hoping for a different opinion...

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I use a plastic coffee can (1 Gallon size). Punch a bunch of holes in the bottom. Then powered the flow like you were puttiong powdered sugar on something. A light dusting. Works great. Never has hurt the horses, goats, sheep, geese, ducks or chickens. My family has been doing it as long as I can remember.

Would like to know why it is dangerous.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    googled it. SLATE lime is what I was thinking of. It'll burn the chickens feet when it gets wet. It must be what nefarious people use to dispose of a body....it'll dissolve it [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quicklime or slaked lime are the thing to avoid.

Barn or ag lime is fine as long as you aren't getting the dust in anyones' eyes/lungs and they are not trudging through great drifts of it [​IMG] I would suggest a light dusting, as the previous poster said like powdered sugar for decoration on baked goods, so that you can still see the ground through it. Then go over lightly with a rake to start it mixing together.

If you are wondering how much to *buy* I couldn't tell you in pounds but experience and gut feeling is that you would want something on the order of a large coffee can's worth, maybe a bit more. -Ish. That is, not just a pound, and not a 100-lb sack.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Ag lime or dolomite is fine for the chickens.

Hydrated lime is bad news.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by