Barn lime

michaelf1478

Songster
7 Years
Nov 26, 2013
I've been reading up on barn lime in the run to reduce smell. Seems like a great idea since it's only $3.00 a bag. I purchased a bag yesterday and put it in the run today. I cleaned my run/coop out, shifted the dirt around, applied the lime the shifted it again. My question is did I do this right or not??

I generally use barn lime in my coop to dry it out, or before I put down fresh bedding. Outside I have sprinkled it on smelly soil, but it isn't a long term solution. Deep litter in a run can keep smells down. I put grass clipping, fall leaves, hay, and weeds pulled from my gardens, as well as sod clumps from edging all in my run. The chickens have stuff to scratch through and work, and it breaks down into soft well drained soil.

I generally use barn lime in my coop to dry it out, or before I put down fresh bedding. Outside I have sprinkled it on smelly soil, but it isn't a long term solution. Deep litter in a run can keep smells down. I put grass clipping, fall leaves, hay, and weeds pulled from my gardens, as well as sod clumps from edging all in my run. The chickens have stuff to scratch through and work, and it breaks down into soft well drained soil.
I clean my run/coop out once a week. Just when it rains the smell get awful. Luckily I live in the country so there are no neighbors to worry about, but when I'm in my shop it's awful lol

Make a deep litter there. It will solve the smell problem and create a healthy soil for your chickens.
I will start throwing my grass shavings and pine straw in the run. Going to take alot of trips to get it full though lol. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom