**help***Can someone please help with sorting out lime use

RememberTheWay

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
I was told that Lime in the chicken run could be very helpful for drying up muddy areas. Then I looked into the lime, and it's more confusing. There are two types of lime. One is caustic and can be used as a white wash in coops but must be handled and use with care and should not be around the birds wet. The other is okay to be around them. I was told hydrated lime is used for drying up mud. This is also the caustic version? The other lime (ag lime or Barn lime) is used for smell and parasite control but not necessarily muddy runs. I went to co-op today and was given ag lime. But when I read the labels now I'm not so sure what I have. I don't want to burn my birds, but I also need to dry the runs. I also bought line pellets. The lime bag says Lhoist (brand?) then Limestone- Guaranteed Analysis - Expressed as Calcium(Ca) not less then 38%, Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) 95% 50# bag back of bag says - high calcium limestone - then it has a danger labe(!?) talking about possibly causing damage to lungs and or cancer from repeated long term exposure and warna mot to breathe the dust.

Did I get the wrong product?

I'm scared to use it now. I need to odor control, but more then that I need mud control. That was why I got the lime. Do I need agriculture lime or hydrated lime? If I need hydrated lime is it okay to use it their run? Can I use it around goats? Is this product either of those or is this something completely different?

We’ve used First Saturday Lime in and around the coop for pest control. It also helps with for control, but I’ve never heard of lime helping to dry things out.

We’ve used First Saturday Lime in and around the coop for pest control. It also helps with for control, but I’ve never heard of lime helping to dry things out.
Here is a quote from a random webiste

How do I dry up my muddy yard?

In the short term, you can dry up a muddy yard using lime or sawdust, but in the long term, you can install a French drain or dethatch your lawn.

Hello! Yes lime can be dangerous if you inhale it, but it can dry things out. In my experience you sprinkle a thin layer where you want to dry it up, and either mix it in with the dirt or cover it up with shavings or leaves. If the mud is almost liquid, like really muddy, it won’t work the best.
Let me tell you though, DO NOT get it in your hair. I slipped on mud with a cup in my hand, it fell all over me. My clothes got really wrinkly, and my hair dried up and it stayed dry for weeks. Not cool.

Hello! Yes lime can be dangerous if you inhale it, but it can dry things out. In my experience you sprinkle a thin layer where you want to dry it up, and either mix it in with the dirt or cover it up with shavings or leaves. If the mud is almost liquid, like really muddy, it won’t work the best.
Let me tell you though, DO NOT get it in your hair. I slipped on mud with a cup in my hand, it fell all over me. My clothes got really wrinkly, and my hair dried up and it stayed dry for weeks. Not cool.
Oh my that's terrible. So is the product I have the right thing? And it i sprinkle that down under pine pellets will that work?

I was told that Lime in the chicken run could be very helpful for drying up muddy areas. Then I looked into the lime, and it's more confusing. There are two types of lime. One is caustic and can be used as a white wash in coops but must be handled and use with care and should not be around the birds wet. The other is okay to be around them. I was told hydrated lime is used for drying up mud. This is also the caustic version? The other lime (ag lime or Barn lime) is used for smell and parasite control but not necessarily muddy runs. I went to co-op today and was given ag lime. But when I read the labels now I'm not so sure what I have. I don't want to burn my birds, but I also need to dry the runs. I also bought line pellets. The lime bag says Lhoist (brand?) then Limestone- Guaranteed Analysis - Expressed as Calcium(Ca) not less then 38%, Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) 95% 50# bag back of bag says - high calcium limestone - then it has a danger labe(!?) talking about possibly causing damage to lungs and or cancer from repeated long term exposure and warna mot to breathe the dust.

Did I get the wrong product?

I'm scared to use it now. I need to odor control, but more then that I need mud control. That was why I got the lime. Do I need agriculture lime or hydrated lime? If I need hydrated lime is it okay to use it their run? Can I use it around goats? Is this product either of those or is this something completely different?
Hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide, the other calcium carbonate (which I use). You’ll have to google if calcium hydroxide is safe around animals.

Hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide, the other calcium carbonate (which I use). You’ll have to google if calcium hydroxide is safe around animals.
The product I have says "lime stone" High calcium limestone

It also say 95% calcium carbonate I think

Back
Top Bottom