1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Hey yall,

I just called my local hardware/building supply store (like to keep it local whenever I can) and asked about 'barn paint'. They told me it runs around $34 a gallon.
    [​IMG]
    A GALLON!!!!!!!

SO .... what did yall use to paint your coops. Everyone complains about the cost of hardware cloth but I haven't seen where anyone complained about paint so I figure yall MUST be using something more economical........

I have an 8'x8' shed of that grooved plywood - need painting inside and out.
    And a nearly finished tractor that's about 4'x10' that's mostly 2x4's with plywood around the 'coop' part.

HELP!

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Lowes Porch and deck paint. I don't remember exact cost, but I know it wasn't $34 a gal.
    Jack

3. canesisters

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Is that it on your coop in the picture? That's the same way I want to paint my coops - red and white to match the barn.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Yep, that's it.
    Jack

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I use exterior latex house paint.

Chris

6. foulplay

foulplay Chillin' With My Peeps

I used house paint to paint mine.
    [​IMG]

7. yamahog3187

yamahog3187 New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Maryland
    I mixed 50/50 thompsons water sealer with a decent grade stain. This is the same thing my brother in law used 25 years ago to paint the playhouse that he built for my niece. Her kids are still playing in it today and it has never be repainted. There is no wood rot that I can find either.

8. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Foulplay,

I like that rustic looking wood you used on your coop. Where/how did you get it? I want to use unfinished, rough, rustic wood for my coop.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  9. canesisters

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I found out that I can get 'oops' paint for about half the cost... but I don't get to pick the colors and it will most likely be one gal. at a time.
    I wouldn't mind so much for the insides... but I don't REALLY want my coop to look like The Partridge Family's bus...
    [​IMG]

10. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    I got a gallon of barn and fence paint which was barn red for 15 bucks at Lowes. I found it a bit thin, but 2 coats worked well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by