1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BarnCats Inc.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PineappleMama, Dec 16, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

2. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    We have somthing like that here, I just adopted 3 brothers to put in my hay barn. 2 of them are super friendly, the third is really flighty, but all 3 are terrific mousers!

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I wish I had a barn to put a cat in--it's a great idea!

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Wish I had a barn cat.

Got three cats but they are only good for getting under my feet and triping me every time I go outside. Plus one is blind in one eye, one is crippled and the other is crazy. I seem to collect slightly damaged strays. [​IMG]

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Could you keep a cat in your coop? I have a barn but it's very empty and cold. COuld you get say a free kitten raise it to be safe with chickens? Sorry it is late so this isn't very coherent .

I have no great love for cars but would maybe keep one outside for rodents. Is this a good idea? [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] I like!

There is a rescue organization in Hot Springs that was founded mainly to take siamese cats, but they do get cats that just can't be happy living in the family home. They adopt these cats out as barn cats. I think it's a great idea. Better than some that insist a cat only be adopted if it's to become a housecat rather than adopt them out at all.

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    hmmm. Almost every cat I've ever had was rescued from a barn. When they lived in a barn, they got eaten or mauled. Out of one litter I did manage to save one kitten. The rest got eaten by something. Out of another, my daughter rescued one from the barn owner's coon hound. That kitty had brain damage from having his head mauled. He was blind, too. One of my rescued cats had a hooked tail because one of the horses stepped on it. Can't say I like seeing cats in a barn situation. To me, putting them in a barn isn't much of a "rescue".

JMO

Rusty

8. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Quote:But what if there are only chickens in the barn? Can a cat live in/near a coop?

9. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    We adopted 3 from a feral colony. This was a couple months ago. I kept feeding even though I hadn't seen them. The food kept disappearing. Then the snow came and I see them daily, though usually just a blur. However, we aren't having the same mouse problem we had last year. So they are doing something right! They were spayed and vacc before we got them. They are very, very, wild!

10. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I have three kittens that were barn cats sort of - well momma gave birth under my porch and took off - So i raised them and they sleep in my barn - and love the chickens - jsut wonder around with them - plus they keep the mice population unver control. They have their little nest themselves that they sleep in in the barn - course i add blankets etc lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by