Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Hi Rachael, I can move the info around. I am not attached to birthing this web site. If you would like to give it a go, it's perfectly fine by me. It just seemed like an idea that was needing to be created. Maybe we Barnevelder folks really like our anonymity, only time will tell I guess.

love.gif
Aya

I am not sure how high they can jump fly, that is I don't know the upper limit, but I have a rooster that can fly up to the top of his coop and it is 6 feet off the ground. He is really a character. He likes the view I suppose, because though he could jump down over the fence to the outside from his high perch on the coop, he doesn't do it, he just struts and crows from on high. I think its a guy thing.

When I put him in with my general layer flock to keep them company he would fly back into his rooster coop at night over the 6 foot fence and roost with his brothers.

After a few nights of me moving him back into the main coop he no longer went back to the bachelor pad.

My layers all stay inside their portable fence (premier electro-netting 42 inches high but power off most of the time) They can fly over it but would only do this if spooked. When I move the portable too close to a rail fence they will fly over just to get on the fence rail to perch.

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy. I was wondering if I could use dividers between runs that don't go all the way to the roof, but sounds like the Roo(s) would go over the top of the dividers. So back to creating breeding pens. :)

I'd also love to know if there are any Barnie folks in Florida or Georgia for that matter). I'm up in Brooksville. I've had my eye on Barnevelders for a few years now, but can never find any locally. I haven't tried shipped eggs yet. The idea frightens me a little. I don't like taking such a gamble on such expensive eggs.

Hi,

I am also in North Florida (Ocala). I would love to find a Barnevelder breeder in the Florida/Georgia area if possible. I have been eyeing Barnevelders for some time, but am also nervous about hatching shipped eggs. I may take the plunge soon though! I'm glad to see there are quite a few other Barnie people in Florida. Thanks for this thread, it's been very informative! -Kelsey

Last edited:
Pysankigirl,

Thank you! BTW, I love the photos of your Pysanki. Stunning!. My family has Polish heritage, so I have always been fond of Pisanki at Easter time.

Hi Kelsey

Don't be nervous about hatching eggs, if I can do it you surely can. But I would give you the advice that I ignored when starting out. Start out with some local (not shipped) inexpensive fertile eggs and hatch them and then give them away if you want to. Then when you have a couple hatches under your belt, then pay for Barnie eggs and you will have good results. Its not hard to hatch chickens but there are mistakes we all make that are best made with inexpensive eggs.

Hatching eggs is one of the great joys of keeping chickens in my opinion.

Good luck

Andy

Thanks!!! I love doing Pysanki and having your own homegrown eggs to do them on is so much better because commercial eggs get compression marks from the rollers they travel down that you cant see with your eyes, but when you dye them, they take the dye unevenly. So I have Dorkings for the white eggs in addition to my Barnevelders, who I just love but who have the brown eggs.

You CAN have good luck with shipped eggs if the post office is kind to you. I sent some eggs down to a girl in NC and all but one are developing! But if the eggs sit on a cold truck overnight in freezing temps, then the whole batch can come up clear. Or if they play football with your box. No matter how well they are packaged and even if the box is intact, the inside filliments that hold the yolk in place within the egg can get broken, the air pocket can get dislodged, that sort of thing. you just cant expect 100% You do have to gamble a bit.

It is all about the dang post office and the time of year.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the encouragement! I think Barnies are certainly worth the gamble of shipped eggs.
smile.png
That is great advice to hatch a few local eggs first. You have inspired me to go for it! I've been researching the hatching process and incubators (store-bought and DIY) non-stop for the past day. I'll contact the breeder where I bought my hens as chicks to see if he has eggs for sale. If not, I think I can find someone close by through BYC.

When it comes time to buy Barnevelder eggs, hopefully I can find someone somewhat close, or at least on the East Coast. It seems like the less distance eggs have to travel, the less chance for disaster. Of course anything can happen. Well, in the mean time, I'll keep reading up on all the great info this thread has to offer. Thanks again!

Thank you both for the encouragement! I think Barnies are certainly worth the gamble of shipped eggs.
smile.png
That is great advice to hatch a few local eggs first. You have inspired me to go for it! I've been researching the hatching process and incubators (store-bought and DIY) non-stop for the past day. I'll contact the breeder where I bought my hens as chicks to see if he has eggs for sale. If not, I think I can find someone close by through BYC. When it comes time to buy Barnevelder eggs, hopefully I can find someone somewhat close, or at least on the East Coast. It seems like the less distance eggs have to travel, the less chance for disaster. Of course anything can happen. Well, in the mean time, I'll keep reading up on all the great info this thread has to offer. Thanks again!
There are other options then buying your own bator. Sometimes you can even borrow an incubator from someone local:) Also, some people will hatch eggs for you in their bator for a small fee or even free. Diseases could be an issue if you don't use your own clean bator, but many people do have their eggs hatched for them by other people. But, it is soooo fun to hatch eggs all by your self:) Trisha

Back
Top Bottom