Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Could somebody post some good quality week old chicks and genders to help me with sexing mine and looking at ther quality

Besides the breast down color, there are other bits of evidence used to sex Barnies. The males are slower feathering and the shoulders will be bare when the pullets are already covered with first feathers. Also the males carry their heads higher, extend their necks. All these signs are pretty clear by four weeks the time the combs and wattles start to red up and come in faster.

I use zip ties on all my chicks, color of tie is the line or some other code and I use right leg for cockerels and left leg for pullets at hatch. The snow white breasts are always cockerel. the dark gray and brown are always pullets, it is the inbetweeners that I cannot predict accurately at hatch. If they are four weeks old and I see the band on the correct leg or the wrong leg I know how well I did at guessing at hatch.

Andy

I have very successfully sexed with the feather method in the past but it is a comparative thing. and with no boys to compare the girls to, I was flummoxed! LOL. 9 girls...grumble, grumble, grumble.

it will NEVER happen again...now that I am ready for it...

I found this board a while back and posted a few times. However, due to life being non-stop hectic, I haven't had time to post at all this Summer. I have a question, maybe someone can help answer. This Spring I ordered eggs and hatched chicks from two different Barnevelder breeders. I have one 10 week old cockerel and one pullet, from the same breeder, that both show white in their wing feathers. On the boy it is more obvious as you can see in the photo. The other 4 chicks from this hatch don't show any white. Has anyone else had this problem? I assume I should not use these two for breeding in the future. I'm just curious what causes the white, genetically. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated. Also don't mind his feathers looking so ruffled. Holding a cockerel with one hand while using a phone camera is harder than I thought! He put up quite a fight ;)

If you take some time somewhere in the middle of the group is an excellent set of chicks. Very well done. Has about 6 different pictures and explanation of each picture. Wish I would of written the number down instead of coping/pasting on word doc.

You send me your e-mail address in a private message and I could send you the copy that I have.

Rob
In Idaho

I found this board a while back and posted a few times. However, due to life being non-stop hectic, I haven't had time to post at all this Summer. I have a question, maybe someone can help answer. This Spring I ordered eggs and hatched chicks from two different Barnevelder breeders. I have one 10 week old cockerel and one pullet, from the same breeder, that both show white in their wing feathers. On the boy it is more obvious as you can see in the photo. The other 4 chicks from this hatch don't show any white. Has anyone else had this problem? I assume I should not use these two for breeding in the future. I'm just curious what causes the white, genetically. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated. Also don't mind his feathers looking so ruffled. Holding a cockerel with one hand while using a phone camera is harder than I thought! He put up quite a fight
wink.png

IMO the jury is still out on the white feather subject. I have not had this show up in any of my Barnies but I have seen it in my Wellies. Ironically, I had a Wellie cockerel that had white is his primaries on both wings. I have read that white can show up in a feather or feathers due to an injury. I think there may be some merit to that. At least some of these same writings stated that the feathers came in normal after the molt.

I have also read articles about other animals such as deer who, for example, will have a deformed right antler if a left rear leg injury occurred. So perhaps this could apply to a chickens feathers as well.

Having said that, I also believe it can be genetic. I had two pullets and a cockerel, all from the same mating, that developed a dime sized white-tipped tailfeather. Now granted, I didn't conduct any further breeding experiments to see if my theory could be proved but I believe in that case the white tipped tailfeather was genetic.

I have had a couple of breeders that I respect tell me that the white can spread and therefore I personally would not breed a bird with a white feather unless there was an exceptional reason to do so.

God Bless,

Having said that, I also believe it can be genetic. I had two pullets and a cockerel, all from the same mating, that developed a dime sized white-tipped tailfeather. Now granted, I didn't conduct any further breeding experiments to see if my theory could be proved but I believe in that case the white tipped tailfeather was genetic.

I have had a couple of breeders that I respect tell me that the white can spread and therefore I personally would not breed a bird with a white feather unless there was an exceptional reason to do so.

God Bless,
Thank you for the advice. I'm leaning towards it being genetic. In the photo, the single white feather stands out the most, but initially, I noticed a light streak of white across the wing tips. At first, I almost thought the chick had rubbed against wet paint or something. Then I noticed the girl had the same hint of white across the wing, but much more faint. Here is a photo that shows it a little more clearly.

I will wait to see what happens after the juvenile molt, but I'm very hesitant to breed either one. I am very new to this, but I assumed the white--if caused by genetics--could continue to be a problem down the line.

This sucks, my one Barnie Roo Died, and he just was barely over a year old, don't make since he was perfectly healthy
roll.png
hit.gif
So sorry for your loss!:hugs I know it is upsetting....I've had it happen to me and it really is upsetting! You may never know why.....I had a roo drop dead like that too! He was out with his hens and we were working in the yard....One minute I saw him scratching for bugs and the next I saw him dead on the ground! We just assumed it was his heart and the heat.

Back
Top Bottom