Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

This is not the same bird as the earlier picture you posted, correct? This is not a hen I would take to show personally as she has quite a bit of "shafting" on her breast. Her comb is pretty big too but that would probably not be an issue if her lacing were better...ie: without the shafting. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just saying that I probably wouldn't take this one to Nationals. The first one you posted a picture of I would definitely take...I would LOVE to go to Nationals myself but flying over half way across the country for a poultry show is out of the question for me.

As far as going to a show for the first time...I did that last fall and I'm so glad that I did. The expense was low and the learning was high. It was a very positive experience for me. At the very beginning of this thread (Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed) there were extensive quotes from the SOP on Barnevelders. Hopefully it is still there and hasn't been removed for some reason. Also, if you have specific questions about the SOP for Barnies you can just ask...hopefully someone with the book will chime in. I was able to borrow a copy of the book from the local public library, so that is an option for you.

Sorry to write a long post, I don't usually do that, but I love the Barnevelder and feel strongly that taking them to shows will do nothing but help the breed. The more people that see this lovely breed, the more they too will want to own one or two.

Hope that helps,
DD

This is not the same bird as the earlier picture you posted, correct? This is not a hen I would take to show personally as she has quite a bit of "shafting" on her breast. Her comb is pretty big too but that would probably not be an issue if her lacing were better...ie: without the shafting. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just saying that I probably wouldn't take this one to Nationals. The first one you posted a picture of I would definitely take...I would LOVE to go to Nationals myself but flying over half way across the country for a poultry show is out of the question for me.

As far as going to a show for the first time...I did that last fall and I'm so glad that I did. The expense was low and the learning was high. It was a very positive experience for me. At the very beginning of this thread (Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed) there were extensive quotes from the SOP on Barnevelders. Hopefully it is still there and hasn't been removed for some reason. Also, if you have specific questions about the SOP for Barnies you can just ask...hopefully someone with the book will chime in. I was able to borrow a copy of the book from the local public library, so that is an option for you.

Sorry to write a long post, I don't usually do that, but I love the Barnevelder and feel strongly that taking them to shows will do nothing but help the breed. The more people that see this lovely breed, the more they too will want to own one or two.

Hope that helps,
DD
Excuse my ignorance but what does "shafting" mean in terms of lacing.

Does anyone have contact information for a breeder of silver laced barnevelders in the Netherlands? I am thinking of getting some to bring to Ireland.

Anyone has 10-14 week old Barnevelder pullets (1-2) they are interested in selling, please PM me. I posted on the wanted ads a week ago but haven't gotten any responses. Hoping will catch someone's attention here.
Preference is for Blue Laced Red but Double Laced Black will work as well.

While waiting for that response and in case I don't have any luck, I was wondering if someone has crossed a Barnevelder with a Wyandotte. Seems like Wyandottes are easier to find than Barnies, so till I get lucky, maybe I can experiment with a BLR Barney cross with a BLR Wyandotte or a Splash Wyandotte pullet and see what I get.

Quality wise, my cockerels are from The Fancy Chick. Pics were taken in different lighting and 2 weeks apart otherwise they are identical.

Back
Top Bottom