Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
more pics of my hens and my young rooster that I selected for his color he still has some growing to do
18281_100_0276.jpg

18281_100_0274.jpg

Those are pretty and handsome?? I hope I get some to grow up big!! I've got to get them to big to know what I need to work on!

I lost the smallest of my four chicks...I was most worried about this one out of the four, and sure enough, it was gone this morning when I checked. Sad, cause it was still chugging along yesterday....the others still look good, active, eating and drinking, and not huddling or too vocal, which always make me more concerned! They are starting to sprout little feathers and are just growing well, so hopefully these three do okay. I am waiting confirmation on another order from LittleGemHatchery for 3 more in April as well. We'll see.
big_smile.png

Tina/tfpets

I took a photo today of one of my Barnie eggs next to 2 of my Welsummer eggs. I got one egg from the Barnies. I told them this is not the only one I want to see! I hope they listen. It would be nice if they start laying now and I can get a jump on collecting eggs for spring hatching.

9332_top_wells_bottom_barnie.jpg

My Wellies lay a much darker egg. I can't wait till I can get the Barnie eggs darker.

Hey all --

I got my new barnie eggs today. They are not particularly dark, but they're a nice size and they all arrived safely.

From L-R: barnie, bantam leghorn, pullet Sussex, Wellie

barnieeggs--02-11-09small.jpg

I've also taken update pics of my teenage barnies, but I'm still working on them -- stay tuned!

Whew! So yours are about the color of mine. I feel better. I thought I had some pretty chickens that laid boring eggs but to see others have them that color then I feel like I didn't make a bad decision with this really nice breed. Through time, I suppose we can get them darker. I think the world needs more Barnies.

Congrats on your beautiful eggs. I adore the Wellie eggs, also. Mine always look too chocolate when I photograph them. I can't get the terracotta to show up well. Might be the wrong light. I guess I better figure it out so when the Barnies start laying really good eggs in a few years I can show them off.
gig.gif

Quote:
Nice! I gotta say, those bantam leghorn eggs are too cute though! I tell people my bantam eggs are "low cholesterol" eggs. They are too! You eat less egg, thus less cholesterol!?!

So, Barnie eggs are a nice, round egg that seems to be a nice size. I look forward to seeing some in person!
Tina

Quote:
Ya want terra cotta, I'll give ya terra cotta --

Wellieeggs--12-01-08--roundsmall.jpg

wink.png

I got some new Wellie eggs today too! But they didn't arrive til evening, and I haven't even opened the box yet. Oh, the suspense!!

Tina -- I'm the only person around here who can eat six or eight eggs a day without getting high cholesterol. Of course, they're iiiiiiiiiitty bitty eggs!!
lol.png

Last edited:
Bluehenhatchery.com :

here are some of my most recent Barnevelder chicks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18281_barnie_chicks.jpg

Those are pretty! So the red is ideal? One I have is redder, the rest are more chipmunkish, than that...the posture is what strikes me...but cuties! Thanks for the pics....I have a lot to learn!
The feather pattern on the Barnevelders, what is that called - is that penciling or lacing?

Tina​

The hens I have are double laced. I have not seen penciling in Barnies here in the US but there could be breeders that have tried to develop it, though I don't think it would be accurate for the standard. I notice some go beyond the standard though and branch out for breed variety. As long as they stick close to conformation of the breed, I see no reason not to but I would think with penciling they would have to introduce some other breed. Or try and get something from over seas, but again , that may lack what the APA calls for in the breed.

Bluehen, those babies are totally precious! Congrats on new chicks!
I will start collecting eggs now that the hens may be laying again. One egg so far from the hens though so I am not so sure. Any is better than none though!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom