Barnevelder egg...

Poultry mum

Crowing
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
Hey guys my barnevelder may have laid this egg as I have no other chickens that lay the chocolate eggs I can only assume it was her... can anyone explain to me why it is smaller than a silkie x Pekin egg... would be very helpful thanks ( see photo) tagged a few of you who I thought could help with this... if you know anyone more knowledgeable please feel free to add them.....
@EmmaRainboe
@RoostersAreAwesome
@TheAlrightyGina
@NatJ

Attachments

• C02727F9-B899-4C9E-8425-F2ABBBB3F290.jpeg
    C02727F9-B899-4C9E-8425-F2ABBBB3F290.jpeg
    470.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hey guys my barnevelder may have laid this egg as I have no other chickens that lay the chocolate eggs I can only assume it was her... can anyone explain to me why it is smaller than a silkie x Pekin egg... would be very helpful thanks ( see photo) tagged a few of you who I thought could help with this... if you know anyone more knowledgeable please feel free to add them.....
@EmmaRainboe
@RoostersAreAwesome
@TheAlrightyGina
@NatJ[/USER
[QUOTE="Poultry mum, post: 24171207, member: 601713"]
[USER=585807]@EmmaRainboe

@RoostersAreAwesome
@TheAlrightyGina
@NatJ
I agree with the others about it just being a glitch in her system. Since she just started laying. My flock of Barnies produce some really nice sized eggs.
[/QUOTE]

Is she moulting? Some of my girls are moulting or just finishing up. Since its Autumn here now our birds will be getting ready to have a break so that could be one reason

Thanks... just wondering though is it normal that she hasn’t laid another egg yet?...
Yes if she's a new layer, this is a normal part of her body getting started with laying. Some pepe call them fairy eggs, sometimes fart eggs (haha 😂). Our black australorp lays enormous eggs now, but her first four were teeny little eggs with no yolks. When I was young we had a flock of RIR that laid a lot of these little eggs around the same time when they started laying. One of the eggs had three yolks and hardly any eggwhite! It was long and pointy. Eventually the hens' bodies figure it out and their hormones level, and you'll be getting regular eggs.

It's called a 'fairy', 'wind' or 'fart' egg. It happens when pullets start laying or when older girls are winding down or winding up during a natural cycle. Call it an...
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

...if you will.

Back
Top Bottom