Barnevelder Gender???

mlmcmurdy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Hey guys, I recently got two new Barnie Chickens at an auction, and they were sold to me as hens but I'm not so sure... Their feathers got pretty messed up in travel and I don't think the previous owner took much care for them as they are unusually thin. It makes it more difficult for me to identify at least. In fact, I'm not even sure they are true barnevelders... I'm hoping you guys can help out!

Chicken One... he/she just would not get up from her dust bath for pics!

Chicken two...

Number one is still on the floor in this last pic:

So what do you guys think.. and are they even barnevelders?? Thanks for any help!! I appreciate it because if it turns out they are roosters, I'll have to get rid of them fairly immediately. I already have a roo who would not be happy to see other males on his turf.

Those are both roosters, no doubt.

I'm not really familiar with Barnvelders, but I don't think those are them. They're supposed to be laced, and have those close, tight feathers like a Cornish.

It's possible that they are a mix.. I'm completely unaware of their origins besides bernevelder written on the box they came in with.
What's odd is that in the first night I had them, I only had one of these guys(number two actually) in the coop along with two others I bought at the auction. One was a very young blue orpington, the other was a laying red star. But by 3 in the afternoon, there were two large brown eggs in the coop. Since the baby didn't lay any, could it have been from one of these guys? Unless the red star is a laying machine and laid two in one day.

Both look like roos to me as well as both have saddle feathers.

It is possible your red star laid 2 eggs in one day if you just got her in auction. She may have been too stressed to lay the first egg when she normally would have, then time clock had the second one already coming.

Red stars are super layers.
Lady of McCamley

They look like around 18-20 week old Barnie Roos to me. My girls at that age barely have any comb and it's just starting to pink up, plus yours are missing the double lacing. Plump them up and you might just have some beautiful boys!

Okay, so then the eggs are probably both from the red star. Well, shoot, looks like I'm out a few bucks then
hmm.png
Oh well, I'll hopefully find a good place for them. I'm sure they'll make beautiful roos for somebody else's flock :) They have wonderful temperaments! And I just found someone today that I can buy pullets off from and they seem much more reliable. Not sure if I'll trust the people down at the farm auction again though!

Last edited:
Auctioneers just read whatever is written on a card. So, it's up to the honesty of a seller, you know? HERE is a great thread if you'd like to learn about Barnevelders and spot a pullet next time!

Back
Top Bottom